How does everyone rig their catfishing jug lines for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by PRITCHETTK, Apr 23, 2006.

1. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    I use big star foam noodles with nylon line, and 5/0 hooks. I try to use shad, perch and bait available I have only caught 1 18# flathead and 1 40 # blue and I have been doing this for 4 years. I have caught several small fish, I just have not got many big ones yet. Any tips?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just keep fishing them. You didn't indicate which waters your fishing in... is it a known place for big fish... I mean, if it is a large farm pond, your not gonna catch many big fish... if it is the Arkansaw or one of its' tributaries, then your simply holding your mouth wrong and putting your jugs out in an area which does not have favorable structure for the big cats. Just keep juggin'...try other proven baits. If nothing else helps, just lie... gotta keep them bass fishermen going. lol

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You gotta locate the structure that holds big fish. And adjust your lines to the depths of the water you're fishing. For blues, I like fresh shad or skipjack. Not only do I want live bait for flatheads, but I want my jug anchored. I've never caught a flathead over a couple of pounds on a jug that was moving with the current. Cut bream has only produced channel cats for me on the Arkansas.

4. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    Im fishing the Grand River on Lake Hudson, in Salina, Ok. It is known to produce a lot of big cats. There is several bluffs where the channel runs through and has cut out the bluffs over time. It is around 50' deep around those areas. But I mainly fish the flats and around the rip rap on the bridges. It is good for producing good cats but not many big ones.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think that area would hold several large cats. So, it's gotta be something your doing...lol. The cats will probably suspend somewhere in that deep water. Your task, if you decide to do so, is to locate that depth. Place all your jugs at various depths at about 3' intervals. See if you can pinpoint where they are at. I do think the bridge rip rap will produce only the smaller fish, unless some stranger swims into the area. Fish the deep holes.