How does everyone rig live bait or present it.

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Apexi, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Apexi

Apexi New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've been curious about it for awhile now. And I wanted to know how other people "present" their live bait for castfishing. Like Brems/Bluegills

Ie.

*Which rig to use, (please be detailed)

*Where to Hook it to keep it alive longer and to make it look Natural.

On a seperate Note. How to setup a Oversized slipknot bobber to fish a big piece of bait?

Things like that the more info the better.

I kinda have a good idea but it's always good to know if others are fishing and presenting bait the same way that i am. and you can always learn something new.

I've been chasing a monster blue or flat for years now and i havent caught anything over 20lbs. So im trying to regroup and rethink my plan of attack.

2. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hey ben ,
    Don't know if this will help you but this is how I do it .
    hook............swivell..beed....egg sinker
    This is a standard Carolina rig , I use a 6 oute eagle claw hook , a 100lb or bigger swivel , a large beed to stop the wieght from chafing the not , and the egg sinker very's on current . Alot of guys use this rig and very different components . When I hook my baitfish it's right before where the dorsal fin stops , and i also trim the dorsal off . If I use eels there live and I cut them in half about an inch from there anis towards the tale , so you dont cut there blatter sack . That makes you two good baites , hook them through the meat where your cut is and run the hook out through the dark skin ,cause it's a little tougher . Hope this helps you out , good luck and let us now how this works foor you . :big_smile:

3. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Rigs

Carolina Rig - Slip on sinker... Weight depends on current or size of bait (if its live).. Bead... Swivel... Leader 12 to 24 inches is what I use... Hook.. 8/0 gamakatsu circle octpus hook or 10/0 eagle claw king kahle are the only ones I use..

3 Way rig- Tie on swivel... Leader to Weight.... Leader to Hook... Same Leader lenght and hooks as Carolina Rig

Drop Shot rig - Poylmar knot on hook leave a long tag end... run the tag in back through the top of the eye of the hook tie weight on the line.. Same hooks

Bobber rig - I make bobber outta pool noodle and a dip can... ( Copenhagen etc)... Then tie on hook and weight...

Baits

Live/Cut Bluegill

Live/Cut Shad

Live/Cut Eel

Live/Cut Bullhead

Sometimes Shrimp, Mullet, Manhadden, Goldfish, Crawfish, Carp, Gar, Bass, Crappie....

All the Live bait besides the eels I hook between dorsal fin and the tail

On Eels I hook em through the lips..

If you use a Live eel clip a couple inches off the back... It makes it less mobile...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  4. Apexi

Apexi New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thank you guys for the info.

Im doing the same setup and wanted to make sure I was doing the same thing.

I guess just no luck. I just got back from an all nighter/afternoon fishing trip. And we had little to no action.

Fishing around High Rock seems really slow for the pass month or so. I dont know where the fish have gone. :angry:

5. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    i use pretty much the same rig....just make sure to check the tip of the hook for a scale sticking on it.......the flatheads mouth is like leather......this will prevent the hook from penetrating!

6. mhawk134

mhawk134 New Member

State:
    SC
    Carolina rig with a cork or bobber between the swivel and the hook. Hook the Live bait fish between the eyes close to the mouth with a gama octopus cricle hook.

Hawk

7. catfishhunter2009

State:
    North Caro
    Good call their flathead reaper , forgot to mension that . You gotta check everytime it never fails , that little scale is the differance between caught fish and just another run . :tounge_out::cool2::smile2::tounge_out:

8. Apexi

Apexi New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thank you guys again really helpful info.

9. Apexi

Apexi New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Fishing for me continues you to be extremely slow. I dont know how everyone is doing. But I hope you guys have better luck then me and my fishing buddies.

10. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    apexi..........you should come down and go with us one weekend...........cant guarantee much..........but then again........thats why we call it "fishing" and not "catching"

11. catfishhunter2009

State:
    North Caro
    Apexi , I think everyone's doin about the same . Thier are a few people having a little better luck than others , but nothing overly impresive . Down this way i've converted to fishing one of our lakes . It seems to be doing the trick right know . Hopefully the rivers will turn around soon . Good luck out there . :wink::big_smile: :0a18:

12. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been trying to find a way to keep bait alive for some time while on the line. personelly most my bait dies when i throw it out on bottom. So i have experimented and here is a few tecniques i have stumbled on that work great for me.
    1) slide a bead, then swivel, egg sinker, bead then tie on a swivel. 6 to 8 inch leader then circle hook.
    now here is where i get alot of looks. since i am in the military i can get ahold of the big chemlights we use. 6 inches and about as big around as a nickel.
    I take a ballon and blow it up pretty big, crack the chem light and shake it to get it glowing, i start inserting it in small end first and when its about half way i let out the air in the ballon till it about the size of a soft ball or maybe a little bigger. then finish sliding it on. dont slide the whole light inside it though.... take a piece of braid fishing line and wrap around the ballon and chemlight tie off then wrap again. with tag end you can tie it to your first swivel. tie on a line stop and float it about 3 foot of the bottom. i have used brim 2 nights in a row and they be alive. plus you can see the ballons on the water. green lights work the best for me. i use this tecnique alot in coves or ox bows on the river where the bottom is usually 9 to 15 feet deep targeting big flatheads and it works great.

down falls is that ballons are hard to cast to far so i throw them out as i idle in to a area and let the reels free spool.
    in heavy current you cover alot of water cause the ballons are constantly swinging back and forth in 5 foot swaths. to keep from crossing lines let some out farther then the other.
    they are a pain to reel in and you have to go slow.
    when a fish hits you have to reel up to him real slow because your line is at a 90 degree angle to the fish. id recomend reeling up to the ballon then letting the fish load himself up.

this is surprising to me but most my hits have been about 5 yards from the boat. and i have seen ballons get smacked so hard that they disappear. and pop up 20 25 ft from where it went under. twice i have had the fish swim under the boat with the ballon.

2) same idea but instead of a swivel for the slip rig i use a line slider with the big swivel snap on it. i take a noodle and cut it about 3 inches long. plenty of resistance to float 2 ounce egge sinkers and then i slide a chemlight through the hole and hook the small hole at the end of the light with the snap. this rig is easier to cast. and creats less resistance on the fish. easier to real in also but not quite as visible. still if you pay attention. it works.

i do good using floats at the head of pools where a piece of land juts out and you have a problem trying to get bait into that edy. float one down to it then hold the rod out the side of the boat and let the current swing the float into the edy. it will stay for 30 second to a minute then swing out and then swing back in. it works a area hard in 30 minutes.

3) sinker with a 2 foot leader and a cork works somewhat for me to.

dont be afraid to run your bait shallow. i have seen flatheads at noon on sutton lake with half there back out of the water in 6 inches of water. and at night on full moons i have seen them smack bream on the surface.
    in 9 foot of water.... he rolled on the top 5 foot from a ballon then dove and hit my bait. he was one that went under the boat. fun considering the ballon was about 15 feet from the boat.

alot of writting here but hoped i helped someone out..

13. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Carolina rig here too. Sometimes Ill use a kat bobber 3-6 feet deep. Live bait on the bottom I usually hook just behind the anus. With a bobber hook em below the back of the dorsal fin.

14. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    some pictures of the rigs i was talking about

Attached Files:

15. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    i use a big version of the carolina rig, weight depends on current, and hook size depends on bait size, but how i present it live bait is if fishing in the current hook em thru the lips, and if fishin slack water hook em just behind dorsal fin. hook in the lips in current to prevent drowning em.:big_smile:

16. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the boc!! i use a carolina rig with a 3-4 oz. weight wit a split shot just above th knot. 18-24 in. leader with a 8/0 eagle claw j hook. hook the gill just behind yhe dorsal fin. hook him shalow, stays alive longer and plenty of hook exposed!!

17. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    interesting hook technique shanelures

18. Apexi

Apexi New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you are serious. I would love to take you on that offer. Next time you head out fishing send me a Meseage. I'm sure I'll learn something.

And

19. Apexi

Apexi New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you are serious I would like to take you up on that offer. I'm sure i'll learn a thing or 3. hahaha. :smile2:

Send me a Message next time you head out fishing and want some company.

again, thank you everyone for the replies. been very helpful to me and hopefully others.

20. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    i most certainly will apexi.........youre more than welcome to go..........