How does everyone handle large catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Chief, May 16, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i was just wondering how everyone picks up and holds there catfish. on the #12 i caught when i weasled my fingers in its mouth i became aware of just how powerful there jaws are. i work construction and it felt just like hitting my fingers with a hammer! call me a sissy but i started to wear work gloves after that when handling catfish. is it the same for a 40pound flathead? yikes!

2. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    if they hang on that hard, i wonder how people do "noodling", where they reach under bank overhangs to pull big cats out! Sounds like a good way to be drowned!

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Afternoon, I Use One Of The Berkley "Big Lipper" Tools, It Works Great & It's Easy On The Fish, Elliot

4. Snappy

Snappy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I never catch any big ones so I can't help ya.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I handle them by doing back flips and hootin & hollerin since they're so far and few between. but then I pick them up by the gill plate and tail.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    You mean a five pounder isn't big.... Shucks I thought that I had a record or something! I personally would try something like our brother from across the pond CatBusster does keep em in the water take some pics and call it good.

Aaron

TA2D

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.
    RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I always try to handle them with a little TLC, cause I generaly turn the back to where they came from.

8. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wont picking them up by the gills hurt them?

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    If you have gloves use them if not grab that jaw bare handed, it might hurt but it's a good hurt! However I mostly use a net cause a big flathead can take alot of skin off your hands, not to mention dislocate fingers if it clamps down and spins, and a big blue can break fingers.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Usually use a net and when I want to pick it up I use gloves if i have them.It does hurt,but i like to show off the battle scars.

11. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I've always grabbed flatheads by the bottom lip. On the larger ones (over 30 pounds or so) I'll also use one hand under their belly to get a lift. I have not used gloves, but I imagine they would only make it easier. They have never chomped down on my hand too hard before (they were probably tired when I got them in).

12. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I handle all flatheads by the mouth, they don't seem to be big biters. But I try and handle channels of all sizes other ways then in the mouth because they like to clamp down and grind those sand paper lips on your skin. And I will never ever ever stick my fingers in a bullheads mouth, those things are brutal. Was using pliers to get a hook out of a bullheads mouth once and it clamped down on the pliers and I barely got them out of the things mouth. In my experience, I've handled 20lb+ catfish by the mouth and never been bit, but handling a 12" bullhead can be painful.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    If you stick just your thumb in their mouth inthe middle and press in under their chin with your other fingers it forces their mouths open making it really hard for them to close it. i think it works better the bigger they are. if they try to clamp down push harder with your fingers.

14. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    On flatheads pick them up like a bass but instead of using my thumb use all the fingers except the thumb that works well for the big ones on little channels i just use the rod to pick them straight out of the water.

15. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Sing it a lul a by, change it's diaper, give it a bottle and put it to bed:lol:

16. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    if they are big enough to get my hand in i will hold them by the mouth

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Boga Grip!!

If one does clamp down on your hand, DON'T TRY TO PULL YOUR HAND OUT!! Those little teeth or bristles are designed to retain fish and they face inward!! It will take the skin off.

18. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

my 2 personal best channels 36 1/2" & 34" both went to feed my family so I didnt care. for some reason I either catch a big one and no little eaters or I catch little ones and no biggins or i dont catch anything at all.

19. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    If you put pressure on there bottom lip like a bass, it paralizes them and they wount bite. But you have to be carefull.

20. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    A gloved hand in the mouth works fine but bare handed works in a pinch. I kind of like it when my hand is scraped up from lipping cats, it keeps the memory of the fishing trip fresh for a few days.