How does everyone care for thier pelts

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by 223reload, Jan 13, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know this is a very wide topic but I'm curious as to how you treat your pelts to get the most out of them when you sell them . I allways placed the hides in a lukewarm barrel of clean water to really wash all the dirt/mud and dried blood off then after a good combing to remove burrs and such I will get a 5 gallon bucket of clean water and a half capfull of DOWNY yep you will be amazed at how clean and fluffy this makes em it also takes the skunky smell out of them that the glands make in the case of fox and coyotes any how this allways got me top dollar for my catch it was more woek but my dad allways said anything worth doin is worth doin right

2. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I trapped when I was younger.Back then I didn't know a whole lot about it.Sure never heard about Downy,but I can see how it would clean them up.I used to just fold them and put them in old bread sacks in the freezer.

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This was my first year at putting up fur. I let mine hang a day to dry then used a curry comb to try to brush out the dirt and blood then stretched them. Then brushed them again when I took them off the stretchers. I think I will try something more along the line of what you do next year. I didn't shoot any this year so that kept a lot of the blood off, clubbed and stood on their chest. Still got a lot to learn...