How does a cva buckhorm magnum shoot?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by kycatman01, Jul 17, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i purchased a cva buckhorn magnum(209 primer). does anyone else have one? how does it shoot?

2. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    Ok, I can't help it but you pull the trigger after you load it:big_smile::big_smile:. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I guess you'll have to take it out and find out. Hopefully it shoots well sicne you already bought it.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Should shoot fine. Ive got a cva hunterbolt magnum(nothing fancy) and it shoots straight. Just because it says magnum doesnt mean you have to use a magnum charge. Try a few different charges and see what works best for you. My magnum seems to shoot better with 125 grains instead of the full 150.

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought the buckhorn for my son last year. He shoots 120 gr of powder and shot a doe at close to 150yds away. It does shoot straight and seems to be a pretty decent rifle.

6. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Everyone of them is different on the exact load they like, mine a cva hunterbolt magnum, will shoot great with Pyrodex pellets, but not nearly as well with the same charge of Pyrodex powder, don't seem right, but that's the was it is. It will group the same size 3 shot group with 100 grs or 150 grs. just lower with the 100 gr. , but kicks about 200% more(seems that way anyhow) with the max charge, so I use 100 grs, cause I love my shoulder.It also likes 195 grain power belt bullets, oh yeah, it's a 45 cal. Killed a nice 10 point the fall of 2004 with it at 80 yards, shot through and through, double lung shot, he ran about 40 feet. Have a Burris 1 3/4 X 5 scope on it, it will group under 2 inches at 100 yards with the above loads, but with loose pyrodex powder it will open up to about 5 inches. Try both, yours could be the other way around.

7. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Isn't that odd that one rifle will take a particular bullet or propelant better than another brand or another exactly like it? My Omega likes powder but not the pellets. My brothers Encore works better with the pellets shooting the exact same bullet. I haven't tried power belts yet. I'm gonna give them a whurl this year just to see. I like the idea of using a heavier bullet. I'm gonna move up from 245 gr. shockwaves to around 300. I may even give those 195's a shot - just to see. Who knows?

8. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good advice above. You might want to also shoot a load thru it to foul the barrel, before setting the sights. IMO. Good fishin', and huntin', Jack.