how do your hands smell

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by wishiwasfishin, Mar 21, 2008.

1. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i know this topic has been up before but i can't find it and thought i would just make a new one. the question is: do some people have a sent on there hands that catfish like more then others. i have been fishing side by side with my buddy and he might catch 3 to my 1. using the same bait and same set up. the first couple times i thought well it's just luck but now years later i'm starting to wonder.:confused2:maybe i need some gloves.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    It's not your hands. It's how you hold your mouth. Everyone knows that!! LOL

3. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I wear gloves, but that's because I am a fingernail biter, and I don't want to eat all that gunk, lol.

I have a pair of archery gloves that fit very snug, and they are so easy to work in. I can pick a dime up off the floor in those things.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I have some type of bait attractant, I rub it on like hand lotion..

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'll tell you they smell different to you than they do the fish.
    I am constantly rinsing off my hands in the river. After every bait up, after removing a fish from the hook. It seems no matter how many times I rinse in the river I can't get that bait, fish, river smell off my hands. I do catch plenty of fish though, so it must smell alright to the fish.:big_smile:

6. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always though the same thing. Most of my friends are smokers, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'll find out this season, I quit smoking just to try out this theory! lol:wink:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never really given this much though. After handling skipjack all day, my hands smell like that for the next two weeks. Don't think its a problem, but it is a valid experiment.

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I've had good luck with smoke-scented hands, better than other friends at times who don't smoke. But then again I've done bad some days when they are doing great. It could be the slightest difference in where you are casting that makes him get you 3 to 1. I'd steal his spot. Other than that, sometimes bad luck can last for a few fishing trips. You'll get him one day. Patience is key!

10. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    me and this guy have been fishing for a long,long time and trust me i have took his spot so many times. maybe he just can wiggle his worm better.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

I quit smoking almost two years ago. I used to catch a lot more channels when I smoked, but then again more people found my honey holes also.

12. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I always do better once I get my first cat, and get the scent on the hook.
    Then I just keep gettin them.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Smell
    Catfish smell real good. Well they don’t really smell good, but they have an extraordinary sense of smell. Their smellers are right up front, in two little pits located in front of the eyes and behind the upper jaw.
    With this keen sense of smell they can detect food at long distances, but also in water where visibility may only be a few inches. Each olfactory pit has two nostrils, one for incoming water and one for outgoing water. These pits are lined with sensitive tissue wrinkled into a series of folds to provide the maximum surface area for smelling. The number of folds is related to sharpness of smell. Channel cats have more than 140. Rainbow trout have only 18, largemouth bass 8 to 13.
    Water is drawn into one nostril, over the sensory tissue and out the other nostril. Catfish detect some compounds at one part per 10 billion parts of water. If a substance is determined to be a potential food item, a message is sent to the brain telling the catfish to move toward the object for further investigation.

Taste
    The catfish’s highly developed sense of taste is like something out of ripley’s believe it or not. The smooth, scaleless skin is completely covered with taste buds. A catfish just 6 inches long has more than a quarter million. On a giant blue cat or flathead ... well, who knows. No one wants to count them.
    Imagine a huge swimming tongue. In a way, that’s what a catfish is.
    Most fish’s taste buds are only found in the mouth - on the tongue, the palate and so forth. There aren’t that many of them either. In catfish, the mouth is packed with dense concentrations of taste buds. The major flow of water is across the gills, so gill rakers facing water flow also are loaded with huge densities of taste buds. Taste buds are also found on the outside of catfish as well - their fins, their back, their belly, their sides, even their tail.
    On the flank of an adult channel or blue cat, there are at least 5000 taste buds per centimeter of skin. The highest concentrations on the outside of the body, however, are on the whiskers. Look at a catfish whisker under a microscope, and you will see what resembles a field of volcanoes. Every volcano is a taste bud.
    The taste buds function in two ways. Those covering the body help catfish locate food, even in dark, muddy water. They detect chemicals from nearby food that help the fish close in on the potential morsel. Then, when the cat is near, the long tapered whisker are used as “feelers” to cautiously sample the food. If everything’s cosher so far, the catfish mouths the item. Taste buds in the mouth then determine whether the food item is edible.

I for one take great pre-cautions to keep anything that doesn't smell like the bait i'm using off my hands. It's amazing to me the smell and taste abilities that catfish have. If you want to fool a big cat into taking the bait then you don't want any red flags going up when he is smellng or tasting your bait presentation.

14. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ive noticed that when fishing at Santee Cooper, I catch more (and bigger) catfish after running my hands in and out of the beer cooler a lot with the biggest being a 48 lb flat head after double clutching a Mich. Light.....

15. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    So thats why i havent been catching as many as I could I know what it is now its the smell

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No matter how hard I scrub, my hands smell like FISH! Keeping fresh shad cut and fishin' the blues all day tends to leave an indelible odor! Maybe by mid to late May it will taper off some. Errrrrr. no, it will be flathead time then!! :)
    BB in SC

17. Spock

Spock New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Try not showering for a week, and using your hands when ....wiping. Be sure not to wash them no matter how raunchy.

I'll bet this will work. And if it doesn't, at least your friend won't be there beside you to outfish you.:smile2:

18. Spock

Spock New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok, all joking aside.

Have you tried having him bait your hook up? Not to make you sound incompetent or anything, but if you don't fish out in the public where everyone can see him baiting you up, it might be worth a try. And you should probably bait his hook up. That way, all other variables will be the same, except if it is the smell of your hands, you should then catch more fish than him in a 3:1 ratio. Hope this helps, and be sure to PM me later if you try it. I figure it's probably kinda cold for the experiment now, but I am really interested in knowing the results. If it does indeed turn out that you catch more fish this way, I think that it would make some interesting scientific research opportunities. I'm in college, and so there's a chance I could apply for a research grant for it, or even if I can't, locate someone who would be interested in looking into it. However, there's always a good possibility you're like me: Irish....with irish luck.

19. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have always wondered about this , but never found any difference in what I do .

20. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just to be on the safe side side, i always carry a chlorophyl soap in my boat. I'm a nail biter also. At least I'm not eating shad at 4:00 a.m. lol