How do you weigh a big flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BenNewt, Sep 25, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've weighed flatheads up to 30 lbs on my Berkley digital scale with no problems, I think--the read out seemed reasonable and the fish swam away with a beaver tail smack. But I've had some recent conversations with some more experienced flathead guys and they tell me that weighed a big flathead (say 45 lbs or so) is really difficult, even with a landing net. In fact, they don't even weigh big flatheads; they take length and girth measurements.

Is there any good way to weigh a big catfish and release it safely?

2. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i have seen and have done it on smaller flattie where will not weigh the fish take a length and girth for one the fish flap in a landing net so the weight will not be right and second hold flattie in mouth always the fish to breath in water and alloowing to swim while holding to be sure it is safe to release the fish

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well theirs really no GOOD way, best is to take to the local market and let them weigh on their Accurate scale. :wink:

4. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    but what happens if the store is a few miles away plus if you are carring in a live fish thinking not is a no no plus how would you transport it

5. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ben,

That is a good question. On some fishing shows, I have seen them weigh large fish using a sort of sling or cradle which looks like two parallel PVC pipes with netting in between and lift by the ends of both pipes, supporting the weight of the entire fish. The four ends of the two pipes would be connected to a scale above by rope, chain, etc allowing the fish to be weighed.

Fortunately, I have not yet been plagued with this particular problem :smile2:

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Flatheads are the easy ones to weigh. A Flatheads bottom jaw bone is different than say a blue, the bone is easy to hook scales to, that's all I do.

Now your blues.........., they are hard to hook the scale to because of the way their jaw bone is...... and they thrash unbelievably hard compared to flats and will flop off the scales easy.

Now I aint caught any monsters I guess but Ive pulled in some nice ones ; )

The net is prolly the best way but I dont have or use one.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree with Jim, the net is best for the fish.

8. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Since I'm going to catch a 50 lb plus next year :wink:, and my digital scale only goes to 50, well I'm just gonna take that bathroom scale from the guest room down stairs and keep it in my boat. Just weigh the fish like I weigh my two year old, cradle 'er in my arms take a weight reading...then subtract mine. If there are not much waves, this will probably give a more accurate reading than my digital scale anyway--plus I don't have to hang a fish by the jaw or take the handle off of my landing net........

9. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I hope to have that problem next weekend at the N.C .gathering ,i,m going to weigh them in the net myself ,i think that is the safest to the fish

JUST HOPE I GET ONE TO BIG FOR THE NET :wink::smile2:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Berkley Tech 100.Very accurate and weighs to 100 lb.:wink:.

11. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Christ Jim, whats that in your Avatar? Thats a hawg in my book! Good lookin fish bro!

12. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I just use my berkely digital for now until I catch something big enough to worry about weighing

13. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

they have a berkely digi that goes up to a hundred not sure what its called. I weighed my 46 and 41 by their bottom jaw(not in the gills). My 46 I had to keep him in the water on a stringer for a bit for my buddy to get there with his scale because my batteries were out so I poked the metal part of the stringer through the soft part behind it's jaw and thats where I stuck the scale held up fine and both were successfully released

14. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anything I get over 20 that I weigh I weigh in the net and then subtract the weight of the net. It is ideal to have the type of net that the net can be removed from the handle.

15. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I see them expert TV redfishermen weigh some darn near Huge redfish on one of those fancy BoGa (sp) Grip thingy's.

Some have the scales built right in the handle and very few ever flop off.

The Net is so hard on the slime coat , anything I am gonna put back, I try to unhook in the water at boat side.

ron

16. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I weigh them in the net,I've had fish that their bottom jaw broke under the fishes own weight,I'd rather a fish lost a little slime than break it's jaw. I don't weigh very many,most are either eaters or releases.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Ben, First off, Very good question. Back in the day when I first started out I used stringers to keep my fish for photos then weighed them by tying a knot in the stringer and putting the scales through the loop. After a couple seasons of catching bigger fish, I got more concerned with the condition of the fish after I released them than sticking a stringer through their lip. So I started looking for other methods to hold them for awhile, till I got the camera ready, and could weigh them. I finally read an article in In-Fishermans Catfish Insider about using a big Duck decoy bag to hold the fish. I went to the hunting shop and found one thats like 48 inches wide by 58 inches long. Its made of a thin satin like mesh, very easy on the slime coat if you wet it first. I can keep and weigh 3 forty pound range flatheads in it (if I could catch them all at once lol.) I just tie a stringer around the top and hang the bag under the boat till I get everything ready. Then I weigh them in the bag. It supports their weight evenly so there is no more stress than needed. Plus I no longer have to put a hole in their bottom jaw or string them thru the gills.

18. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    keep the fish in a rubber landing net or a cradle or sling used by european anglers for carp and wells catfish, this doesnt harm the fish.