How do you weigh a big fish??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by puddle jumper, Aug 30, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I was wondering how you guys weigh your big fish, when I got my 50 it was all I could do to get it up high enough for a weight, Im not sure I can get a good weight on a bigger fish.. I was thinking about making some kind of tripod to set up and hang the scales on and place the fish in a kind of hammock , kind of like the pike guys use :confused2:,,
    Oh and I don’t usually have a big net, I use Boga Grippers...
    So how do you guys do it???:wink:
    Got to be a better way
    Puddle

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    John, doesnt sound like my way is gonna help you out any.. i just put em in a big net, lift em up high, and hope someone can read the scales quickly. ALL the bigger fish i catch are landed with a net, remove the handle, weigh it, grab em up by the mouth, shoot a pic, set em free..

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    John, I do exactly what Kyle does. I weigh in net w/o handle and then subtract net weight. Your idea with the tripod sounds like a good option too, especially since you don't have a big net.

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I weigh mine in the landing net. But you could almost make a cradle or sling out of an old dip net or even an old cast net. I always felt that holdfing them by just the lip on these bigger fish was just took much weight for just a lip or lower jaw to support.

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i too use my net and a set of coffey scales. just tare out the net and weigh the fish. from boat to weight to picture to water is just a couple of minutes.

6. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I weigh mine in the net...I have a paddle that I run through the handle of my 150lb scales to help get the fish up.

7. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Where did you get 150lb scales ?

8. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I got mine from Cabelas...

9. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oh I forgot about those.

10. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ok, my biggest almost swamped my boat. I fish a 12 ft jon boat and was by myself. It took me almost an hour to get it to the boat and I was as worn out as the fish. It took me another 10 minutes to get him in the boat. In the process I lost my camera over the side along with a number of other things. The old boy was about 70 pounds, I am not sure because I lost my scale too.

I got the hook out of his mouth and told him I would be back another day for another fight. Slide him over the side and said good by.

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I have a pipe that slips over my seat post, pipe has hole drilled thru it and I stick a peice of 3/4 round bar thru hole and hang scales from that. I havnt tried it on a real big fish yet. (30 lbs biggest) partner and I made it for an online tournement. After I'm done I slip it behind the seat. I am on a pontoon.

12. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I use the big net as well

13. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Jerry, I like the seat post idea, I will half to make one of those would give you something big to hold on to, :wink: Thanks
    Also thanks everyone elce for the input,,What I might try is to get a soft bow case and use it for a craidle , it would make a good soft sling to hang the fish.:roll_eyes:Im hopeing for a monster for the fall fish off so I want to be ready before the fish is in the boat with a game plan...:big_smile:
    Puddle