How do you use the bait clicker while fishing for catfish?

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by brew1961, Feb 12, 2009.

1. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I have just upgraded my fishing equipment with Abu Garcia 6500's and 6600's. I would like to know if anyone uses the bait clicker while fishing for catfish? Does it depend on the species, flathead or blues? Or the method of fishing? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks, Tim

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use bait clickers when fishing for flatheads off the river banks using j hooks all of my other fishing is out of the boat and I always tightline with circles to get the best hookup ratio. When fishing for flats with the clicker I usually let them make one full run stop then I engage the clicker and set the hook when he goes again..

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I harldy (mostly never) use strictly the clicker on Catfish. Don't fish for Flathead much or that tactic might change.

I do set the clicker though but keep the reel engaged. That way when a Cat hooks up on my circle hook and starts peeling drag I'll notice it if I happen to have my head up my (you know), or taking a quick catnap or otherwise not paying attention.

4. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    ive been using abu's 6501 and always disengage the reel and turn the clicker on and basically use it as an alarm for flatheads regardless if im bank fishing or anchored in a boat. only one time was the current strong enough to pull the force imposed by the clicker not to use it.

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Justin! :0a25:

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    <<---------Ya'. What he said...

7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    If i'm anchored or bank fishing, I always use the clicker.... On the reels that have a clicker....:eek:oooh: