How do you use a gill net?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by loanwizard, Feb 14, 2008.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    These things aren't legal in Ohio, so I've never even seen one let alone used one. Captain Hugh has graciously offered to supply me with all the bait I need, but I enjoy gathering bait as much as catching the cats. I have, thanks to the wonderful in depth information of justlearning, a 6 x 50 1 3/4, 3 3/4 stretch gill net coming with 4 floats. However, I don't know how to use it. Is it as it looks, that you put one end out and then unroll it across the current so that bait swimming upstream get their heads caught? Or do you use the net as a kind of corral and go in a circle? Thanks to just learning and reel blues for their help.

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Shawn you can do both your anchor line has an anchor tied on to one end also on the same end your float line has a float or bouy tied on. You drop the anchor off and the float usually done off the front off the boat. While the boat is backing you let out the net across the current ( easier with 2 people) one driving one working the net. Holding the net tight while releasing it to keep it streched out tight. When you get to the end you have another float tied to the float line and drop it over board. You can then do circles around the net to corral the fish but if the bait is there its no need. Some people put more floats in the float line rather than just one on each end they put one every 20 feet or so. You will want to get you a container for the net a storage tote works great.

3. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    These pics are me in action with the smaller floats on the other net that is 2 x 4" stretch....have 4 flat floats on that net. Yep that's a huge tub I have... most guys use a 5 gallon bucket....the tub makes it a little easier....these were taken @ T P first choice....the 5 gallon bucket in front of the cooler has my cutting board in it that fits over the bucket....I have a bunch of wash clothes I keep on the boat...when cutting up my shad I have a wash cloth wet and folded in half on top of the cutting board and place the shad on top of it....then after cutting up each shad I just lean out on the water and rinse out the wash cloth...that keeps the mess down a little....those were 12-14" shad:
    http://www.jerrywebbonline.com/james/james2/net_sketch.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.jamesrivercats.com/picts/No_tres.jpg
    http://www.jamesrivercats.com/picts/No_tres2.jpg

For most catfisherman that are fishing the James and for trophy size blue catfish use 12-14 inch shad for cut bait. The easiest way to catch the shad is with a gill net. Many of the guys order the gill net from The Fish Net company
    Stock number is: LGM-6617 Price for 6' x 50' is $46.91 less shipping.
    Mono 6' X 50' long.... 2" Mesh 3 1/2" Stretch.... 3/8" Float Rope.... Leaded Core Bottom Rope
    Call Billy @ 800-256-5256.

Also you have to order your floats separate. Virginia regulations require that you use at least a 3.5 diameter float on each end and painted a florescent/reflective orange. I ordered ....(2) 3.5 and (2) 4" floats just to see which I like better and ended up putting all 4 floats on my net. The last 4 numbers of his/her social security number or driver's license number (at least 1"high), preceded by the letter "R"

Most use 5 lb weights on the bottom of each end of the net to hold it in place....while looking for eyebolts and hardware to make the weights for each end at Walmart....I run across 5 lb Neoprene incased hand weights for I'm thinking $5 ea which worked great. Just remember the bottom of the net has the lead line and the lead line will be smaller in diameter.

I would think you would be better off with sticking with a 50ft net. If you go out a lot by yourself a 100' net would be hard to pull in your self. As far as your license go's you can get it at Dances Sporting Good Store, they are $9.00 for the year. From January to December.
    Exit 53 off 95
    Dance's Sporting Goods
    570 Southpark Blvd
    Colonial Heights, VA
    (804) 526-8399

Directions to Dance's

Or get the Recreational License For Commercial Gear (Gill Net) through mail:

You can mail to the below address and include the following:

a check for $9
    a photocopy of drivers license
    include , weight, hair color, eye color, Date of Birth and SS #

Virginia Marine Resources Commission
    30 Jefferson Ave
    Newport News, Va 23607

VMRC's email: mrcsa@visi.net

If you need further assistance from VMRC, contact them at 757-247-2265 and they
    will be happy to assist you.

When putting out the net a mouth of some creek right off of A flat can be a good place. Just start dropping it around 4 to 5 feet of water then back your boat up straight. This way it will be easy to pick back up. Plus if you have a lot of wind wont be so hard to pick it back up. When you drop off your other end hold the LEAD line & the float rope some what tight Then drop the LINE then pull tight the float rope to pull the rest of the slack out.
    THEN sit back & wait. If you see the float rope jumping then go pull it in. Don't let it soak over 20 minutes before checking.....when shad are thick 10 minutes could be long enough. If you feel the shad hitting the net as you let it out.....you may need to pull it back in as soon as you have it out.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Best how to I have every seen on using a gill net. Thanks a million! I use mine for spot in the fall also.

5. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the comment Kenneth and thanks guys for the reps....

Jerry