How do you unstop a toilet that's very VERY stopped up?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by brandonnash, Jul 17, 2008.

1. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My 3 year old decided to flush a few wash cloths down the toilet and it is stopped up bad!!! We have a septic tank and I don't want to push it down any further plunging it and this is not something I think a snake (auger) will pull out. Any ideas? Fast response would be very helpful (I have 2 inches of water on my bathroom floor). Thanks

Oh, also I live on a concrete slab foundation, so I can't just crawl under the house and take out a pipe.

2. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    I would try taking the toilet off. Thats what I did when my 3 yr old flushed his vitamin bottle down. Took it off and there it was. Boy was I relieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I'm with Josh. Pull the stool up. It's what I done when my son flushed his rubber duckie. Pain in both our butts at the time.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Josh take the toilet up and take it to someone that has a fire hose or similar size hose and flush it backwards. We did this with a bath towel once and it shot right out.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    they make a snake with a coil on the end to wind into the clog and pull out. if it dont work then ya. prob have to pull toilet up.:angry:

6. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, I got the toilet up finally. One of the screws kept turning with the bolt so it took a lot longer than it should. The wash cloth is not sitting on top and after putting some water in the main line it looks like it's moving fine. I'm thinking it's stuck in the toilet somewhere. Had to take a smoke break to calm myself down and keep my away from my kid so I won't have to give him another good spankin.

I'll try to let you know how it goes and thanks for the help.

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    if he put several in there they are probaly stuck in the stool that hole in the bottom isnt very big

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Finally, something I'm an expert in! lol You can try to hook it with a bent coat hanger but you will have to be carefull. Try and make something similar to a fishing hook barb on the end. Other wise it will be best to take the stool off. If you decide to do this I would recommend getting a new wax ring first and check what kind of shape the lock down studs and nuts are in too.

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I had a problem with my daughter flushing something down by accident. I put a snake in there and it went thru, I took the toilet up and looked underneath, nothing, drain was clear too. A mirror in the bowl didn't show anything, but finally I was able to see a little of it from the bottom. I had to push it out the way it went in. After that the toilet flushed properly. At least ya got the toilet up, now you should be able to get the stoppage out. Good luck.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    netman jack? ever seen these. a new alternative. and can be pulled up again and re positioned without smashing wax. these stick to the toilet and slide into pipe.

not long ago i remodeled my bath and put down ceramic. i went this route. and pulled up toilet 2-3 times and didnt have to replace a wax one.

then if it happenes again. it can be removed and replaced without going to hardware store. there only about $6 at any supply store farm store or menards.

they have a sticky self adheasive that bonds to bottom of bowl.

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Easy there Brandon, for your own sake dont make the poor kid so afraid of the toilet that he gets a phobia about toilets making his arse hurt and wont go near it. :smile2:

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

M-80, small piece of duct tape, a coat hanger......

and RUN. :wink:

13. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    now that type of thinking is either pure genius orrrrrrrrr.......... really scary.:wink: i am just teasing sparkles.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    DONT DO THAT!

TRUST ME. I SHOT A BOTTLE ROCKET DOWN THE TOILET WHEN I WAS 13. IT BROKE A BIG CHUNK OF THE THRONE OUT.:wink:

PAPS WASNT HAPPY.:embarassed:

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    :smile2:this cracks me up. member for three years. 2665 posts,reputation is 1million 467 thousand 202 and jack finally found something he's an expert at. i think this post has helped me with my humility Jack. thank you.:smile2:

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Childhood adventures with pyrotechnics Jerm?

I'd know nuthin' about that. :embarassed:

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    All the turd herders are coming out of the woodwork like termites.
    If you need something fixed just ask on the BOC!

18. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Finally got it. Did have to take the toilet completely off. Took forever to get the bolts off. The main line was running fine, so I knew it had to be in the toilet itself. It was. 3 wash cloths and a toy cell phone. Had to wiggle my hand up the sh** pipe (is that the proper term?) to get that last cloth out. Still trying to clean up the mess. Wish I would've listened to the advice about the bolts earlier. They're just turning with the screws now and won't get tight. Any suggestions on that?

19. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Either the threads are gone or the shoulders on the bolt, that hold in the collar underneath the wax ring are sheared off, or rusted off.......where the whole bolt is spinning with the nut. If the bolts have to be replaced, Home Depot and Lowe's sell a kit to do that.

I suggest Lowe's. They're a NC company.

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    CLOGGIRL........LOL