How do you transport?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by rush_60, Dec 17, 2008.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    How do you transport your canoe/kayak from home to the water? Right now I have a homebuilt rack that I put in my truck and my yak goes on top. I'm looking to get a trailer and fabricate it to hold the yak, camping gear, and my poles. Post some pics if you have them.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    What I would do is get a trailer close to the same length as you kayak.
    Then I would either build a permanate frame or a removable frame to hold the kayak. The frame could also double as your tent. Just get a tarp and some bungee cords or ratchet straps and strech it across the frame. Put a cot in there and you are set.:cool2:

3. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    real boats come with their own trailer. :wink::big_smile::big_smile:

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    This time last year I would have sold you one of the Trailex aluminum canoe trailers http://www.castlecraft.com/canoe_trailer.htm for $300. They are pretty nice, it weighed about 95lbs and I could pick it up and carry it when needed. I used it to haul my Portabote, and ended up selling it as a package with the old boat and motor.

5. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Jump online to Harbor Freight Tools and get yourself the bed extender..
    No need for a trailer unless you carry alot of stuff.
    I pack stuff in my yak then load up then stuff things everywhere.
    Bungie cords are my friends!

6. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Was going to answer this one before but wanted to have some pics to add. I have a cradle I made that goes in the back of the truck. Two small tie down is all I use unless I am going to be going a long ways and then I add a third. This would work for a much longer boat in a full size pickup with a tail gate.

Attached Files:

7. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
  8. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I found me a used boat trailer for $100. It needs new bunker boards, and lights, but everything else is nice. I'll try to get some before and after pics up when its done.