How do you toughen up chicken liver?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by dano40, Mar 16, 2009.

1. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    How do you toughen up chicken liver so it will stay on the hook better?

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Get yourself a old baking sheet line it with some foil sprinkel garlic salt on the foil place your liver's on top of the salt then sprinkel more garlic salt on top and set it out in the sun for a few hour's.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Back when we fished with chicken liver we learned to put it on a j hook and always kept it fresh and on ice . We used a little cooler with ice .

Before mastering it to the j hook we used trebles and liver hooks .

fresh and cold worked wonders for use . Soon as it got warm from the sun it wasnt worth a crap .

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i heard a few seconds in the microwave makes them a little more solid

5. dvkb

dvkb New Member

State:
    texas
    what you should do is use a shower ball one last me about 2-3 months i just cut a little square out of it like 2"x2" and wrap it around the liver and your trebel hook or a single hook. It works great you keep the same ol liver sent it works good .i attached a pic hopefully it goes on . try it out and let me know something ......o yea and the net is easy to get off your hooks

Attached Files:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    great tip and thanks for sharing. I like the microwave trick, but you have to be careful, it sure cooks fast

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You can use garlic salt, but it's cheaper to use non-iodized salt and garlic powder. Be sure to use non-iodized salt; catfish don't seem to like the taste of iodine. As for how to apply the salt/garlic powder, there are two ways, and both work. You can put the salt/garlic powder in a plastic box or bag, then put in a few livers, and shake well to coat them. Lay them out until well dried (may take anywhere from 4 hours to all day); turn them over and repeat drying. The other way is to lay the livers out, then sprinkle heavily with garlic powder and salt. Dry as above. Turn them over, sprinkle again; dry again. The cured livers should have the consistency of well done steak or can be further cured till they are like jerky. Your choice. They seem to work equally well whichever way you cure them.

8. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    We just buy a spool of black thread and a pair of scissors. You put the liver on, wrap it up on the hook with the thread. When the liver gets old and you want to replace it, you cut it off of your hook.

EASY stuff, and the best way I've found by FAR.

Vector

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Thin slice and dry it. Hangs on the hook well and stores a reasonably long
    time. Add garlic powder if you think that helps. Seems to draw fish to it
    about as well as the fresh livers.

10. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana

I do something similar, but instead of the bath sponge i go to the dollar store and buy a cheap pair of pantyhose. Trim it just like the sponge (2"x2" square) and make a little pouch with. I learned this from my uncle that ties his own trout sacks. Hope this helps.

11. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    I don't know if it is illegal here in Indiana, but come to think of it a friend of my dad is the one who showed me (he is a retired game warden). I would still check local and state laws regarding it before trying this technique.

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I put them in a Ziploc bag with lots of Sea salt(Non iodized, Kosher salt, etc.), all the same thing & let them set a few days in the frig. When I put them on the hook I use a small piece of sewing thread.

HTH, Elliot

13. Deuce

Deuce New Member

State:
    ohio
    I usually take a tub of livers with the blood and mix in a packet of strawberry banana flavor jello and put it in the fridge a couple day (few hours will work) the gelatin in the jello really firms up the livers. you still have to be careful not to sling of the liver but this helps a ton. i know the strawberry banana flavor sounds a little crazy but it works great.....

14. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Use turkey livers instead,problem solved.

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I tie mine on with a pice of thread. Works great:wink:

16. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    We do the same as catfisherman369. Ive tried the sun dryin trick too but watch for flys,ugh. Keep it cold and cut it up at home is the trick.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't worry about the flies, they won't hurt anything. After all, YOU aren't going to be the one that eats those livers. If the flies make a really big clump of eggs on a liver, just knock most of them off; some eggs on the livers won't make any difference to the catfish, and the eggs won't turn into maggots that live because of the salt.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just curious, are you mainly fishing for channels? I tried that same recipe before I learned how to cure chicken livers, and it didn't work for me at all. But I fish mainly for blues; that could easily be the difference. I kept trying that stuff till it got so stinky I couldn't stand to open it. And I'm the guy who picks maggots out of rotted fish scraps for bream bait!

19. Deuce

Deuce New Member

State:
    ohio
    mostly you catch channels eater size maybe a little bigger. For the big boys cut bait or live is the way to go. but I will usually put out one rod with the jello livers. but I have caught blues on the livers but for the most part its a good channel bait

20. clock152

clock152 New Member

State:
    Glenpool, OK
    I cure some a few days ago (gonna try em tomorrow)...Kosher sal and garlic powder... set the oven at 155 and leave the door open a bit (like your maken jerky) let em set for about 4 hours in the oven flipping at 2 hours...I took the left over salt and garlic and added it to the left over blood in the container added a 1/2 cup of water and a cup of dog food.. put in a good size rock (for weight) and stuck it in the freazer... gonna use it like a frozen chum ball...I bank fish so the plan is to chunk it out as far as I can and then fish in that area...its worth a shot...LOL