How Do You Tell If A Pond Has Turned Or Is Stagnant

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WOOD18, Aug 20, 2006.

1. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I Have A Pond On My Land That I Have Put Many Fish In. It Had A Lot Of Pearch And Small Crappie. It Isn't A Very Big Pond But Appears To Have Been Pretty Deep. Since We Haven't Gotten Much Rain This Year The Water Level Has Gone Down Considerably. I Tried To Fish It The Other Night And Didn't Get A Bite. The Wind Was Blowing A Bit The Other Night And The Water Color Was Dirty Brown. I Went And Put Some More Fish In It The Other Night And With No Wind I Noticed It Was Green. If It Has Turned (or Stagnant) Is There Anything I Can Do Without Spending A Fortune?

2. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Check the depth in what you believe is the deepest area. You can do this by wading,if its to deep to wade across your OK.Also check for dead fish,birds may eat the smaller ones but you should see dead fish if you have to low oxygen level.You may need to check the pond daily to look for fish.One of my ponds is only about 4 ft deep now and I have not lost any fish.Another problem you may have is the same one I had some time back,people seining it for bait.They completely cleaned me out one year when the water level was low enough for them to seine.I'm sure some others may have more good advise.

3. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Doesn't sound bad, it may just be hot. Watch the algae, if it turns to a turquoise greenish blue yes you have problems. I can't remember the name but it will kill a lot if not all of the fish in the pond. And if its that color don't wade in it. It can cause bacterial infections in people. You can use copper sulphate to kill moss and algae growth, but only treat one third of it at a time. The dying plant growth sucks the oxygen out of the water and kills the fish. If its not thick on top of the water I think it's just hot, or somebody might be seining.. Good luck

P.S. you can get pond treatments at Atwoods or maybe your local feed store.

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Bray, use a bobber and a weight to check the depth. It's easy & you don't get muddy. Either that, or go throw one of those 46,000 dogs that you've got into the pond & see if it has to swim or can walk back to shore.:big_smile:

For the fish, we'll just seine them out if you want to. I've got a big seine that we used to jerk all the fish out of our pond beind Dad's house the other day. We'll pull the fish out & either transplant 'em again or have a fish fry.

5. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Thanks For The Input Guys. In One Of My Other Ponds I Have There Is About 3" Of Water And I Tried To Catch Some Perch The Other Day. In My Throw Net There Were A Bunch Of Blood Red Worms About A Inch And About As Big Around As A Paper Clip Wire. Anyone Know What They Are?

6. mega34bkw

mega34bkw New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The little red worms are called blood worms and are found in many ponds. These worms are not harmful and provide food for perch and other small fish.

This

8. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The little red worms are called blood worms and are found in many ponds. These worms are not harmful and provide food for perch and other small fish.

This summer has been unusually hot and dry. Many ponds are in trouble or have gone completely dry. If the pond is brownish green in color the pond and its contents are in trouble. Pray for rain and cooler temps so that the dissoled oxygen level will rise a little. September rains will fix the problem.
    catman George

9. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Will My Fish That Are In The Pond Be Allright?

10. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Probably not Bray. Catman George could be more specific, but the algae change and low water levels are bad. I may be wrong (Catman let me know) but the algae turning brown indicates it is dieing, while decomposing it sucks more oxygen out of the water, thereby causing a huge O2 defenciency in the water. A little bit of wind could help. But we need rain bad.

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian- You are right on target with your diagnosis. The fish in the gentleman's pond are in trouble, but these few days of a little cooler weather are helping along with the rain. I think the worst is behind us now since we are so close to September and the weatherman is calling for more rain this weekend. Great Salt plains lake has lost close to half of its catfish due to the extremely low water. Rains in Kansas has put some water in the lake and it is slllllllllooooooooowwwwllllllyyyyyyyy rising. The die off is pretty much over, for now, but things could change. I will know the extent of the kill by November in Salt Plains. It does not look encouraging. It may take a few years to regrow the cat population.

It appears that you are quite knowledgeable when it comes to water quality issues.

Come by the Okla Wildlife federation booth at the Wildlife Expo on Saturday at the Lazy E Arena near Guthrie. We are located in the arena on the East wall between Terry's Taxidermy and Wilderness Elk hunting in ront of the little bridge in the middle of the pond. If you come into the arena it will be self explanatory. Hope to see you there. I will be working on Saturday only from open until at least 2:00 PM and maybe later.

catman george
    catman george

12. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    We Did Finally Get Some Rain, To Be Exact About 4 Inches. Well Needed. I Think It Is Going To Do Some Good Even Though Our Local Lake Hasn't Caught Any Water.