How do you take your bream?

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by bradley_G, Jul 3, 2009.

How do you fish your bream?

1. Live hooked through head

2. Live hooked through tail

3. Live with injuries inflicted (cuts/scaling)

4. Dead Cut and bloody

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    ok, thought i'd mix things up and do a poll on how you like to fish your bream. you can be more specific in the post about how you like to rig them, but i'll just put basic options and we can build from there.

also post about how big of bream you like and hook selection, leader setup, secret ingredients or seasonings, witchcraft/magic spells, whatever you like to do with your bream before you throw them in the water....

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Live/Head, but I prefer big, live gizzard shad. :wink:

3. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mostly fish cut bait. Nothing special just scale and cut chunks. Every once in awhile I fish a live one with some cuts down the side. Mostly channels and bullhead where I fish so the bait size isnt real big. Usually about the size of a silver dollar. When fishing them live about 2 to 4 inches.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    All of the above, It matters what, where, and when.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Through the back for me. I always try a combination of cut and live intitially to see what the cats are in the mood for.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I usually do the through the head for strong current, but then again do the behind the dorsal to facititate hook-ups....

7. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i usally fish with a live gill in the back and cut bait to see which they are hitting on then i will usally what they are hittiing on

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I like them about 4"-5" alive hooked behind the dorsal fin. If I use cut bait it will be shad or skipjack.

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Most of the time it's cut and bloody for me, the bigger the better :big_smile:.

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I'll take mine in a tree.........

11. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    By the choices given, I woud say live through the head. However, I have found that a little finesse is called for. With the point of the hook in the bream's mouth, probe with the point until you find the nostril opening. Bring the hook through the nose. I have fished a bream all night this way and have released it alive in the morning. Yeah, I know it doesn't say much for me that I can use one bream and not get hit all night but - Oh, well. As we all know, catffishing is hours of boredom followed by 30 seconds of panic.

12. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like mine fileted and fried. When i use em for bait i hook em through the tail.

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like a nice size green sunfish 6" or bigger hooked through the back, under the dorsal fin. A bobber stop, a Kat Bobber, a 3oz sinker, a barrel swivel and a number 8 Gama. Thats whats working well for me this year.

14. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I like to hook mine in the tail and cut a couple of slices in the tail to let the blood run out and the fish seems easy pickn to a big flat or blue.

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Lower back towards the tail area for me. I get more hook ups that way. I also believe the style of hooks play a roll as well. I like using the kahles to hook by the tail. If hooking in the head area I believe that the regular J hooks and circles are best. My gills last longer hook in the tail area though and I found that in faster current they seem to really not last that way. However I like the idea of going thru the nostrils area though, just dont know if that could facilitate more lost hook ups that way or not.

B

16. CatBassin'

CatBassin' Well-Known Member

State:
    Harmony, NC
    Name:
    Garrett
    I usually use cutbait but will occasionally use live and run he hook in the middle under the spine.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i voted live and in the head but if im fishing a lake or big eddy with a cat bobber i hook in the back.

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use em all ways but my most used method would be a circle hook through the eyes of a live gill/bream. They die but they will struggle and bleed first. If I have no takers will cut him in 1/2 and hook one 1/2 in the brain, the other one just below the dorsal fin.

19. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Hilarious Massey! :smile2:

20. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Live hooked just below dorsal fin.. and cut heads.:wink: