How do you take care of your motor while fishing in the winter?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by beeheck, Dec 20, 2009.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    When fishing Mid-Missouri in the winter, what steps do you take to protect your outboard from freezing up when your done for the day.

2. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    good question:confused2:, i never have done anything, i just always try to leave the motor in the water while im fishing and not trim it up out of the water. I figure as long as i am not on the water when it happens im ok. But i have pulled out on days in the teens, and went back fishing later that day with no problems, but then again i have never really thought about it.

3. nateD

nateD New Member

State:
    IN
    i just bought my first boat back in the summer. i would like to hear some answers to this post also.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Just keep yopur fuel good and clean and that good marine stabill in the fuel with a water fuel separtor and make sure you hang it straight down in the run fashion when not in use and check the lower unit more then in the sumer so as not to let the unit freeze incase of water intrusion.
    I would keep a float charger on my batteries and after starting give it time to come up to temp.

5. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I trim the motor up and down a few times to make sure all the water is out of the water pump and the lower unit intake holes.

6. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    When coming off the water and on the trailer I pull the drain plug and turn the bilge pump and aerator pump on for a few seconds With the motor as far down as it will go I pull my kill switch and hit the starter to turn the motor over a few times to get the water out of the water pump. Don't forget to drain your livewells and bait tank. If you are forgetful like I am tie your drain plug to your steering wheel so you won"t forget to put it back in.

7. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Being a Florida boy, I've never thought about it. Here in North Georgia, I usually just wash the boat and motor down and park it in the garage.

8. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The boat I have now is my first large outboard (90 hp) but I have never had a problem with any of my motors in the winter and I fish all year. I just keep good fuel treatment added, and when I trailer up, always let the lower unit all the way down to drain out for a few minutes before adding the transom saver. Also, as has been stated, allow the motor to warm up at least 5 minutes before you leave the no wake zone, and dont rev it up when cold. Chris

9. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I pull off the water in the winter I will stop before I get to the top of the ramp and pull the plug. This will force all water in the boat to the back and drain. I will then trim the motor all the way down and sit til water quits coming out. I also put in fuel stabilizer every time I fill up in the winter. This reminds me I need to change the lower unit oil in case there is water in it.

Many mechanics say that you shouldn't just put the stabilizer in for the winter. I try to add this about every time I fill up during the summer also. Today's fuel will break down and cause problems. Hope this helps.

10. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I bought a water separator filter and housing this sumer but never got it installed. My question is ,what happens in the winter when its below freezing and the filter has done its job and has water in the bottom of it?
    I'm not at all happy with the performance or longevity of the blended ethanol fuel, and I just heard on the radio they are trying to run a Bill to move all Missouri gasoline to a mandatory 15% ethanol blend. :angry:

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    The problem with that is there isn't enough ethanol plants to provide it in Missouri. We don't even have enough ethanol plants up here and some that were in the works have been shelved.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

What I did with this is that I spent a few extra bucks and bought what Is called I think a racor filter. It screws on but has a drain chamber for the water on the bottom of the filter. Or you can screw the filter off and empty it and put it back on. I have had a regular filter reseal 3 or 4 times before I chunked it.
    I had rather have that water freeze in the bottom of the filter then the fuel bowls any way

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  13. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    the main thing to watch in the winter is the lower unit case.......i always pull the plug off like im going to change the oil and let the water run out if there is any...if there is water in there it will come out first since it doesnt mix with oil.....once u see oil running out u should be fine.....this will keep u from busting your lower unit

14. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you have water in the lower unit then you have something wrong! There should never be water in the lower unit gear oil to begin with. Also, if you leave the drain plug out of the lower unit for any extended amount of time then you are allowing dust particles to collect in the oil covered case which will eventually cause even more problems later on. Chris

15. mocatfishking22250

mocatfishking22250 New Member

State:
    chillicothe mo
    trim your motor all the way dow put it in neutrial and start it up as soon as you git to the top of the ramp let it idle for about 8 sec. it will not hurt it at all your waterpump impeller will still be wet .that will drain the rest of the water out .then take it to the upper limit on the trim more will come out that will do it your done till next time

16. CANCATCHCATS

CANCATCHCATS New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Like Chris said there should not be water in lower unit.
    That being said sometimes there is. Most of us have had fish line wrap up around the shaft behind the prop and that can nick the seal or damage it.
    This can let a certain amount of water in and it could crack your lower unit caseing if there is not enough room for exspantion( don't know how to spell that) I know most everbody knows this but if you are like me I forget these little things that can come back and bite me in the butt.
    I always unscrew my plug and see if there is water and if there is you best get to a shop soon.
    Thank you for this site.
    You just can't beat it