How do you store your limb lines?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Tauphi111, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Tauphi111

Tauphi111 New Member

Name:
    Tony
    How do you guys store your limb lines? I can imagine 50 pieces of line with a hook, sinker, and tag can be a cumbersome tangled mess if not kept organized somehow. I'm guessing the ideal storage method is also compact so the 50 holders don't take up a ton of space. What do you guys use?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    well maybe once or twice a year we set out a few when it floods.....we just take a spool of braided & tarred nylon cord & tie one end to the limb let out enuff line to go 1-2ft under the water...cut it run the hook up the line tie it with a drop loop.....we save old spark plugs rail road spikes etc for sinkers at the bottom......at the end of the day....we cut the line from the tree with a pair of industrial scissors throw it in a 5 gallon bucket....we do it with all them....then on the boat ride back to the ramp the passengers cut the hooks off and the weights and we throw the lines in the trash......its a lot easier than trying to save them and keep them from getting tangled......its 5-7 bucks for big spool of tarred nylon from catfish connection it lasts us 2 years at least....way too much trouble to try and save them INMO:smile1:

SHOWME likes this.

3. Torvaldsberg

Torvaldsberg Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Tony
    Wrap them around one of the bigger pool noodles.

philly35 likes this.
  4. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Name:
    Bob
    We do this twice a year and its always the same, after using either trot lines or jug lines we always put the lines and hooks in the catfish bucket all in a pile and will cut off hooks and clips later, no need to save this stuff, a entire roll of line is like 5 bucks and I think I have the small rolls of every one I have bought almost, not necessary to save in my opinion, and gettin rid of a big pain in the butt to keep untangled. JMO

Big Sam likes this.
  5. Welder

Welder Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Troy
    Know a welder? Get a plastic welding wire spool. Pop a loop in each line on the end about 6 inches long Set hook in a hole in spool wind- set next hook in loop wind ect. Stores super neat and next time just unwind drop line over limb run thru loop - rinse repeat. You can also store trotlines on them and trotline hooks

SHOWME and primitivefrn like this.
  6. Badmaw

Badmaw Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Paul
    My limb-lines are made up of a ten foot length of tarred, braided line. I put a 2 ounce egg sinker on the tarred line. Tie the tarred line to a large snap swivel below the sinker. I use 50 pound mono as a leader about a foot to a foot and a half long. Tie a loop knot in one end to place on the snap. Snell the hook at the other end. I've also used tarred/braided line for a leader (smaller diameter than main-line) if I though I'd get into some BIG fish.

To store them, I use a large pool noodle. I cut a slit length ways down the noodle. I remove the leader, hook the hook into the side of the noodle (burying the point/barb) and wrap the line around the noodle, tucking the end under the wrapped line to hold it. Then, I insert the egg sinker into the hole in the noodle, slide the mainline through the slit and wrap it up, tucking it under part of the already wrapped line to hold it. I can store 10-15 lines on a 1 1/2 foot of noodle this way. Everything's together and ready to unwrap when I need it.

SHOWME and JByrd like this.
  7. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    I use a small Styrofoam cooler, most often found along the road maybe even with a corner broken off. I coil the line into the cooler then stick the hook in the top of the cooler, repeat with each limb line going around the top. It really helps if you mark the direction you put them into bucket in (clockwise or counter) and mark the last line in. When redeploying our lines we take them out by last in first out. This method works very well for us UNLESS the cooler gets turned over then there is a bit of a mess to untangle.

SHOWME likes this.