How do you store snelled hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by blackhorse83, Jun 7, 2006.

1. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Would like to know how everyone stores snelled hooks in there tackle box. I'm looking for a way to keep them from getting all tangled in storage before use.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I pre-snell my hooks and put then in those little 2"x3" zipplock bags. they store very neatly in the box and never get tangled.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
  4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Lyle, they use to make a hook keeper for snelled hooks. They were spring loaded and you put the hook on one end of them and the snell on the spring prong and it kept them nice and tight. All the ones I have ever seen are made out of hard white plastic. But I haven't seen one in years. Good luck finding one maybe check ebay. Vern

5. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I do the same as Dreadnaught but go one step further, I then put the ziplocked bags in the Bassing worm bags, I carry 6 of them on board the boat, all my hooks and terminal gear are all labeled and go in certain bags then I put all those bags in a motorcycle backpack along with all my other stuff, only have to grab one bag to go fishing.............Doc

6. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I snell my hooks as needed,so storage isnt an issue.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have tried all sorts of ways to do it and the one that works best for me is this cylinder with tabs to put your hook in and you wrap the line around the tube and there are velcro tabs to hold the line down, by the nature of the plastic hook tabs, the point of the hook is pointed torwards the tube, preventing tangling qwith other items in your tackle. You can also store items in the tube. I have the small one thats about one and a half inches in dia., but there is another one thats about 3 inches around that I intend to get! I picked mine up in the fishing section of "Long's Drugs"! Works great for me!
    Picture below!

Attached Files:

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just curl them around a few times into a loop and then tuck the swivel end through a few turns to hold it together. I thn put several of those in a tray. They tangle together a timey bit, but not enough that it has ever bothered me.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have one of them too, somewhere! There is another good one, that I no longer have. It was about 3 inches in diamiter and kind of like a chewing tobacco can. You dropped the hook in it and you would wind the top and leader until just the loop was extended. It would hold a bunch of leaders neatly stacked inside! I would love to have another one!

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I also use the same as above works O.K. for me. Catfish connection sells one made of plastic thats called a snelled hook holder that is supposed to hold up to 156 snelled hooks for $1.70 apeice. Ive never used them but if someone on here has maybe they will let us know if they work or not. 777

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    You guys are awesome! what great ideas, thats why I keep coming back

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I use cardboard. When you cut cardboard the edge has holes in it that run through the cardboard. I stick the point of the hook in those holes and then I cut two slits in the edges on both sides and I wrap my line around the cardboard and the slits secure the line pretty effectively. I usually cut a piece of cardboard to hold 10 hooks.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Lyle, go to the Informative member posts at the bottom of the list. Look for snelling hooks by Whistler,today its on page 5, The second post is the same way I snell all my hooks and I just use a Palomar knot for the swivel. You can tie that knot in under a min. I can even tie it in the dark once I get the eye threaded. You can speed up the re-tying process by having a spool of you're prefered leader size in your tackle box. Some guys like a heavier leader than main line or vice versa. That way you don't have to re tie you're swivel if you just lose the leader. Plus I don't trust the pre tied loops in some of the store bought snells, when I used them in the past I had many just plain fail. Every time you make a new loop around the shaft slide it under your thumb to keep them all from overlapping each other. Four to five loops is all you need for it to hold just practice it at home till you get it. About 20 minutes. Then you never have to worry about untangling a big wad of hooks and lines in the dark.

15. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Great minds must think alike, I've got five of these in my tackle bag. I got mine from Gander Mountain I think they were $5 a piece.:smile2:

16. cattinalldayeveryday

cattinalldayeveryday New Member

State:
    chicago
    get one of those plastic snelled hook keepers easy access and a good investment not big but good

17. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use 3 methods:

1. If the snells are short (6" or so) and the hooks are small, I will use those plastic spring-loaded things. THese are mainly for perch/crappie.

2. If the snells are a moderate length, I use a section of water noodle. I tie a surgeon's loop in the end of the snell and jab the hook into the noodle, wrap the line around the body of the noodle and secure the loop to the noodle with a small carpenter's staple.

3. For big hooks, I use those small ziplock bags. I keep mine in old plastic cases that you used to use to hold computer disks. Snells go in the ziplocks, ziplocks go in the disk case, disk case goes in the tackle bag. Fairwell and adieu you sweet Spanish ladies.

For rigging, I just do a loop=to-loop connection with my swivel, although sometimes when I'm not feeling lazy, Iwill cut off the loop and tie a proper knot.

18. Jebbie

Jebbie New Member

State:
    TN
    That's what I use. The large one is all i usually take when I go fishing for 'gills. I put a few splitshots, swivels and 2 slip bobbers in the middle.

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I use a soft sided CD- DVD carrier. I place one coiled up leader in each cd pouch. Mine holds a dozen or so. It then has a zipper to keep it closed up and it will fit in my tackle box easily. You can buy them cheap and also in many different sizes to hold as many as you like. Works Great.....