How do you stop other folks from running your lines? - Frustrated

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by ra8643, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    Hello all. I was able to get out this weekend and set out some lines. I did fairly well. However, I am fairly certain that someone ran my line on Sunday morning. I had made some of those cotter pin clips and one was even removed off the line.:sad2:

My setup is tied to a tree on one end and to a white float on the other that is tied to a weight. I think the white float is the reason someone checked it - it is very visible. There is only one tree to tie off to - or would not use that sort of setup.

Is there any way to discourage this from happening - besides sitting out there all day? I really don't have time to do that. Is this just part of trotlining and really can't be avoided? Does it happen to others too?

I thought about maybe using a smaller float and letting it submerge 6" or so under the water to hide it better.

Does anyone have the same problem and any suggestions on how to avoid being run by someone else?

Thanks in advance,
    Joseph

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Have heard that finding out who ran your line and then torching their truck, might discourage them from doing it again. :wink:

I have not done this, but have seen it happen a few times.

If you're using a GPS unit, you can forgo the floats altogether.
    Set as normal, minus floats, and upon return to check the line, use a drag to find the line and pull it up.

:004:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I would discontinue that practice and take up rod and reel! :wink: Just MHO. That said, if they took your legal lines, you have every right to be pissed!

Bill in SC

4. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Bushs and and paintball gun, you figure out the rest:wink: JK.

I had a buddy that had problems with his limblines getting thieved and set up a game camera in the area. The problem is now solved.

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Rub sonnys all over them.

6. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the replies. I was really thinking about trying to get out of site and try to figure out who is doing it and confront them.....but just want to try to solve it reasonably. Maybe this was just a one time event.

I would like to try to figure out how to keep them better out of sight to avoid it all together.

I am just really surprised someone would actually do this. That is pretty bad.

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Joseph what I would do if someone was running my lines is I would sink
    them. I would not tie off to a tree but anchor on both ends and mark them
    well and drag them up when I wanted to run them or to bait up. I have made
    drags out of window weights or some type of heavy bolt or pin. Make a hole
    in one end to tie a line ( the bigger the line the less it can cut your hand)
    on the other end weld about 2 in. of three 50 penny nails with the excess
    of the nails sticking past the end pin, then take a small pipe and run it over
    the nails and bend each nail back to make your grapple. Then go to the
    location of your line ease your grapple down and drag your line up. Everyone
    needs a weighted grapple in their boat because sooner or later you are
    going to want to drag for something. Maybe not your new rod and reel.LOL
    If you need to keep your line off the bottom just go to smaller floats and
    shorter lead lines on your floats. The floats will keep the line off the bottom
    but the anchor will keep the floats submerged.

8. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    Poppa, excellent information. That is what I was looking for. That way I can fish out-of-sight basically. I will try to come up with some sort of rig with smaller floats (that was sort of what I was thinking about). My weights are 35lb, so maybe a float with a 10lb upward force or something, where the float stays under. Great info on the grappling hook setup.

Thanks!

9. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I agree with Poppa...the best option is stealth. There will always be a-holes out there, and even if you catch them in the act it's not going to change who they are...and will more likely just cause and unpleasant, and possibly dangerous confrontation. Then again...there's satisfaction in making the bastards pay! You could hide a trail/game came close by...and then mete out justice at your leisure... MUAH-HA-ha-ha! :wink:

10. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sorry to hear about you problems but not surprised it happens all the time. i have had more lines run, cut and stolen than I can count. had one that they ran and stole all the hooks off of it now thats balls.

Pop has it right. You have to have a drag and nothing can be above the water. Find a snag below the low water line and tie it off. Make sure you use Black line its a little harder to see. Also make sure to use middle weights to hold you line in place if they cut it and you have to drag for it.

If your going to confront these thieves then make sure to be carefull. Most folks on the rivers are armed so just be prepared. Im not telling you what to do but a shotgun makes a nice back up. The best bet is write this off as lost and a leasson learned. Hide your lines and hope that no one sees them.

11. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    All,
    I really appreciate the replies. I will have to get a plan put together to get them submerged.

I also think that Magnus has a good point. Getting in a confrontation with thugs like this doesn't change them and they'll just do it again when you get out of sight.

Joseph

12. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    ive never set these kinda lines, but if you feel they are checking your lines from the bank, my solution is simple.. get you a big ole mean dog to chain to that tree! bet they dont do it twice!:smile2::smile2:

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It a damn shame people can't just leave your stuff alone. I have had mine stole within 3 hours after setting it. It was legally marked too. I don't leave mine in when I leave the water. next time i will completely submerge them, and hook them and pull them up. Good luck out there.

14. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im stayin off this topic. Last time I got 3 warnings all at once.:embarassed:

15. ra8643

ra8643 New Member

State:
    texas
    Yeah, I agree 100%. I would never think of messing with someone elses lines - much less stealing the fish off of it.:sad2:

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Hey, do those of us who may be fishing around where lines are when you're floating them with smaller floats and make sure they're low enough that a prop won't catch them. Might save somebody (even you) a mess in your prop and your line:wink:

17. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    It's a shame you can't leave nothing around any more. Honest and integrity are hard to find with some people.
    I set my jug lines after dark most times and run them thru the night or come back at first light to run them.
    About the only ones who'll be out are other night fishermen and early to rise bass fishermen.
    I'm sure I've had one or two jugs that were picked up, not a lot you can do about it.
    Trot lines...submerge them like the guys say.
    Jugs..... stay with them if possible.
    Limb lines...... night time and don't leave them from week to week fishing.

Be careful about confronting folks who do run your lines. All to easy to have a gun pulled on you when things get out of hand. No fish is worth getting shot.

Q

18. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    yeah i agree. if someone did that and it messed my prop and other stuff on my outboard up, id rip their trotline to bits!
    at the same time, i wouldnt ever touch someone elses line because for all i know they got a rifle in the woods 200 meters away ready to pick me off! lol.

id do that bushes+paintball method like kaw said. or if you know whos doing it and wanna catch them in the act, just stick around and when they do it, have a thick wire on one side of a cove (assuming your dropping in a cove) and tie off to a tree and when they leave the cove pull the wire wiht your boat accross in front of you but keep the wire sunk about 6 inches and it will jack them up! lol. my best advice after that would be to get the heck out after that. or you could just take all the tires off there trailer and put them next to there car and empty the air outa there car tires! lol

19. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    You know its sad to say that there are people in this world that are to lazy to do their own fishin and have to screw other peoples fishin up. Not only this way but in others but those of you that beleive in karma what goes around comes around. They will get theirs in the long run one way or another!:angry:

20. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    here is how i set my lines so no one will find them
    i start off with a four foot piece of rebar and drill a hole in one end and place it in the bank under the water line then i run it but make sure u use a black or dark line and make sure to run them when noone is around

and if this don't work run a moch line with no hooks but zip lok bags and write them little notes like

while ur checking this dummy line i am spending quality time with ur old lady. :crazy:

just remember be creative