How do you stop a chicken killen dog??

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by oh no, Jan 2, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This might not be the right place for this question, but I have this problem. I picked up this Lab/Rot cross at the pound in Sept. I has cost us some money humaine society fee/ nutering cost so I hate to shoot it. I'm thinking of an electric collar and watching it.

It's a good dog and we took it to an obeidence class, it is smart, but when it see's chickens or any bird for that matter, it has to chase it, play with it. You can call till your lungs are wore out. It loses it's hearing when it gets around chickens, Yesterday it hurt 3 guinneas that later died and one rooster.

It has a habit of barking and nipping at our horses faces. They will stick there heads over the fence and stop it sometimes. I wish one of them would give it a good kick where the dog would limp around for a few days. That would stop that.

I hope someone has a suggestion that will work. We have a new cheap electric dog collar my wife picked up. But it was made in China, and I'm scared that it might kill my dog. I don't trust that Chinese junk.

Any suggestions would be really apprecated.

Thanks in Advance.

Oh No

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    A shock collar will break a trashy hound in most cases. It should work for chickens. Had a older fellow tell me once to tie a dead chicken around it's neck and after it got rank, they wouldn't mess with them anymore. A good stought club may correct his hearin problems too. Aso check the amps. on the fence, i doubt it would kill it but definitely will detour his crossing thru the bird pens.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Any bird that he kills, hang it around his neck. He'll quit. Yes it's disgusting, but it works.

The shock collar can be handy for correcting his behavior as well, but you need to build a dummy collar, and make him wear it all the time so he won't recognize a difference. A 2" chunk of square tubing should work. If you don't put a dummy collar on him, he will figure the shock collar thing out, and only act up when it's not on. The dummy collar will fix that problem as well.

If you are correcting him with a shock collar, DO NOT speak to him when zapping him off animals. Don't yell at him, throw things at him or anything, just light him up. It won't injure him, but it'll make him stop whatever he's doing. The reason you don't want to yell at him or throw things at him when you shock him, is because you want him to believe that the animal that he is harrassing is hurting him. If he hears your voice correcting him while the shocking happens, then he will know that he can get away with it when you aren't around. See the difference? Instead of hearing your voice, and turning to look for your correction while chasing a chicken or jacking with a horse, suddenly he will think that those animals have some magic power and are shocking the living heck out of him!!! He'll leave them alone after that.

For other types of unwanted behaviors, the shock collar and voice correction are not only better, but encouraged. But if you don't want him repeating the behavior when you're not there (like attacking unwanted animals) then don't speak to him when correcting him.

4. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I know before I type this I will get some hate mail. But take the dead chicken and whip the tar out of the dog with it. I basically had the same problem before and a old farmer told me do this. But I begged my mom to keep the dog so I was desperate and I relucently did this and the dog never bothered a chicken again.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You are working with a trouble dog, OhNo. If it is warm enough the dead chicken trick works, but you got to tie it in the mouth. Use a muzzle so he can't chew it or spit it out. Make sure he can breath. The ranker the chicken (snapping turtle type bait rank) and the longer he can keep it in his mouth the better.

Neutering (as you have done) and the dog just getting older are sometimes enough.

Do not trust this dog around anything that moves fast. That includes kids, kids and more kids. The smaller the kids the worse it could be.

Collars and chickens in the mouth and clubs are no substitute for a dog obedience class. A good one. Not one put on by the girl scouts. That will cost ya some bucks. If you like the dog well enough do it. If you can't keep the dog, kill it. Don't just give it to the humane society and have someone else get the problem.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    WE used to tie it around thier neck.They didn't like it but it seems to work pretty well.Good luck on your problem.Like stated watch the dog around kids .

7. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Ok here goes...I am not an expert by far but I think i may be able to help ya' some or at least point ya' in the right direction.

First take that "Shock collar" and tuck it away deep in a drawer. Go get a spiked training collor and a thick short training lead ( buy a short 4' leash).

You will have to take alot of time up with him/her. the two breeds you descibed, Labs are natural hunting/bird dogs and Rotts are herding dogs (if it runs the chase.

Now before we go any further ONLY use the spike traingin collor while you are working with it, leaving it on for prolonged periods of time is inhuman and will dig/grow into the dogs neck(i have personally witnessed this, not my dog but another ones)

Congradulations!! both breeds of dogs are extremely smart and learn very fast so this shouldnt take to long.

Now after you have the collar on him and he is use to the feel of it, attach the leach ( there should only be enough room so the dog can take (1) step away from you) now lets walk the dog, this lets the dog know your in control.

now walk in "L"'s a few steps and stop then turn right or left ( you want the dog to notice your feet and the direction you are going. using a slight tug when you turn. Every time you stop make the dog sit ( you will see why in a moment) this shouldnt take maybe 3 hrs at the most to get the dog to understand what you expect.

Now take the dog with in eyesight of the animals and repeat the process til the dog is only focusing on you. slowly wander nearer and nearer. ( this make take a few days til you are actually near them. Once you get this far take the dog and make him "SIT" in the middle of the chicken yard. untill he understands that he is to protect them and not chase/hurt them.

the reason he chases is because they run ~ they run because he's chasing ..lol

Background: Rotts hearded cows and sheep in GErmany by running behind them and nipping at their legs to herd them back. He's trying to do that with those fragile chickens and the horse.

Good luck my friend and hope this helps (patience is the key):wink:

hitting the dog and shocking him wont teach him nothing (imagine someone speaking an foriegn tongue barking unknown orders then hitting you with a club (just make ya' mad huh?)..:angry:

8. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    we also have a lab and just the other day he had a chicken in his mouth i disciplined him, he went right back for more numerous times we have been told to put the dead chicken around his neck and that will break him, aint tried it yet but he acts stupid one more time and he will wear one for life,:tounge_out: hope info was good for u

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    As far as kids goes, this dog grew up with a 2-3-and 4year old girls. He doesn't bother kids. In fact he wont chew stuffed animals, I think those little girls got him broke of that. You can touch him any where any time, even when he is eating, he does not care. It's just birds that really set him off. He used to chase cats. My wife had one get hurt in the barn and brought it in the house and put it in the kitchen. He wanted that cat real bad at first, and we had to put up a big piece of cardboard to block the door. After that dumb cat being in the house about a month [ and convincing my wife it wants to stay a house cat] that dog does not bother it. In fact they play together. Darndest thing I ever saw. What I'm saying is this dog is extreemely smart. It can be trained.

By the way this dog is about a year old , thats what the humaine society said. It still has not filled its frame up. I imagine it will put on another 20 pounds once it stops growing. It is taller and longer than when we first got him, he is still a puppy, an 80 lb or so puppy.

I apperciate all the thoughts on how to cure this problem. Years ago I used to just shoot a chicken killing dog, but they were free. This darn dog cost me 120 to adopt then we had to pay to have him nurtered, another 60 dollars. Plus all his shots and heart worm maintenence. I payed 70 dollars for a training class that went 8 weeks put on by the Trail Creek Dog training club. It was basic training. sit/heel/lay down/stay/leave it alone. And when we got him he was chipped. The Humane Society said we can not dump the dog off, because they have a chip in him. He will be like a bad penny. lol lol Always comming back. lol lol

When ever we get him so he has his stuff together, he will be an awsome dog.

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If it gets into your neighbors chickens you may not have to worry about it anymore...

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Since you have money invested and seem to be pretty attached to the dog. Knocking him over the head seems to be out of the question.:big_smile::eek:oooh:
    Invest in a quality shock collar or see if you can borrow one for a while from a friend that may have one. Like others have said, do not let the dog relate you to the lightning it is about to receive. The dog needs to think that whatever it is doing (the chicken) caused it discomfort (to say the least). You need to hit the dog hard with the setting on the shock collar up pretty high, if not on high. This needs to stop the dog in its tracks and scare the life out of him.
    I was big into rabbit beagles a few years ago and those darn little dogs can e as stubborn as any thing on this earth. I had 18 beagles when I got out of the rabbit chasing business. I had one little female that would not come to me in the field. In the kennel or my yard she was very obedient. she was just impossible to get loaded when the hunt was over. Sometimes took hours to get that dog in the truck.:angry: I was a dealer for Tri- tronics dog training collars also. I made the call and ordered myself a training color. i put the collar on her before we went out. Took her and two other dogs that would come when called. When time came to leave sure enough Ruby would not listen. I made sure i could see her, I called one time and she did not even turn. i hit her so hard with that collar it stopped her in her tracks.I had to do this about three times but she got it through her thick head that she needed to stop and come when called. I walked over to her and she was scared to death but I am pretty sure she got the message. As long as I keep a dummy collar on her she would come when called no matter what she was doing. Stopping the beagles was not only for loading when ready to leave, it was for there safety as well. If they came to a hog pen, highway, yard with an aggressive dog, etc. They needed to listen to my commands and come when called.
    The training collar turned hours, days and sometimes weeks worth of training into a few sessions at most. Due to an injury I had to get out of the Beagle ? rabbit business and sold all my dogs and equipment. If I still had a collar I would let you borrow one. A quality collar like a Tri Tronics can and will be pricey but is a great investment if you want to stop bad things from happening and in the long run it will probably save the dogs life. If you don't get fed up and shot it someone else will. I also agree that you need to watch the dog around any thing or any one that is small and it could hurt. I am talking about KIDS. You just never know. I sure there was a day the dog would not bother chickens, then it started all at once and the chickens started dieing.
    I would check Ebay for a good deal on a use Tri Tronics collar or you local trading paper.:big_smile:
    I hope my long winded story helps,
    David

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have had some sucess with whuppin them with the dead chicken and then tying it around thier neck till it falls off. I have also had to revert to a shot of lead in some cases.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Hope you find something that works.. Sometimes you just gotta find what works for your dog.. My last dog (Pit Bull) was extremely smart. When he was a pup, he chewed up a pack smokes and couple of other things. Spanking him didn't faze him. I made him sit in the corner and stare at the wall for 10 minutes, while I griped at him while cleaning up the mess. Never had another problem with him chewing anything up again heh....

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Id have to say Beetleman would be the expert but Bill is on to hate mail or not I raise Pitbulls and there is no room fer error when you have kids,I will not hesitatate to thump em good if need be and cruel as it sounds you would be amazed at how well mannered my mutts are......I love my dogs but there are times when a good ole thumping is in order.

15. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kenny, I've probably thumped more dogs than I've taken to an obedience course. But I got to be the professional here and sound compassionate. that's what I got paid for. LOL.

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's why I am in training to be a nuclear physicist. Those bombs don't care how compassionate you are.

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Once a dog has tasted raw chicken, there is only one cure for it.
    There are several sizes of cures for this. I might miss a few but you will get the picture.

.22, 222, 222mag., 223, 25.06, 30.06, 300mag., 410,16g, 12g, and the list goes on and on!!!!!!

18. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    dont really know how to stop a dog from eating chickens. but i had a problem with dogs getting in my garbage . the way i solved that involved electricity but it was not a shock collar . i used house hold voltage , i have been shocked probally 1000 times and believe me it doesnt feel good . needless to say i dont have any dogs getting in my garbage any more . although i dont reccomend using household voltage because it can kill your dog .

19. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    JW he does not eat them, he just plays with them till they give up.

20. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET HIM A RUBBER CHICKEN :smile2: