How do you skin a dove?

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by dylan543, Dec 2, 2007.

1. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    One day i was out squirrel/rabbit hunting. And i kick up like 20 doves and shot at one and hit it with my 20 gauge pietro barreta. And i kinda thought it was awesome to get surprised and hit something flying in the air. So i was wonderin if any of you guys knew how to skin a dove..I would really appreciate the help..and for more help where is a good place to go in a field or where?:wink:

Thanks alot....
    Dylan

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Break off his wings, then take your thumbs and peel the skin and feathers off the breast, once that is done, take one thumb and stick it under the breast near the tail feathers and then push your thumb up under the breast and just pull the breast off..wrap it in a strip of bacon and grill it and you will love it, fry it in a skillet and it will taste like a chunk of liver..:wink:

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yep thats how i do it, i usually come from the op on the breast though, i have found a way to revoe the meat from the breast plate too. you can do it without the use of a knife, but it does help to have one. at the top of the breast, insert thoumb between breast meat and breast plate. you can use a fore finger too, it works better. push down toward bottome of breast plate and pull the meat off. usually you can get the meat off in one piece, and it makes it much more enjoyable to eat theis way. you may want to use a knife to cut the meat where it meets the wing, sometimes that is pretty tough to get off with your fingers.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I usually just use the grab an yank method ,what ever works will do.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    some guys take the meat off the breastplate right away, but most pull out the breastplate meat and all. if you have one of those sink screen things that prevent clogs, run cold water on the breast while you peel the meat off. this will make it a lot easier. something else you can do to make the meat more firm for this is either clean the birds as you shoot them, or just chill the whole bird, as it's usually pretty warm during dove season most places.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually just clip the wings off as close to the breast as possible. Take thumb and insert under the breast. Pull out the breast, and wash off good. I like to lightly fry my dove breast. They are good wrapped in a piece of bacon.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    same here. i rip the chest skin open shove a thumb under the breast and pull it out and snap off wings. bad as it sounds some are still quivering cause i do it so quick.

first i soak in milk overnight.
    i like to take a blade to the middle of breast plate. slice down both sides. add a slice of jalapeno pepper to each and wrap in bacon and hit with a good BBQ rub. grill and coat with BBQ sauce. and grill till the sauce sets and glazes.

8. shovehead1

shovehead1 New Member

State:
    Trumann,Arkansas
    twist off the head and wings put both of your thumbs in were its head was and pull apart and everything will come off