How do you skin a catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by 13-year-old-angler, Oct 16, 2007.

1. 13-year-old-angler

13-year-old-angler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
  2. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    ou can check the member library , it should ahve a step by step,personLLY The I normally maka cut all the way around from just below the gillss to just behind the large bone ont op thats the skull , YO

3. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    sorry bad post, usualyy remove top fin and side fins as flush as I can to the rest of the fish, then I make a full cut all the way around from the top just below the skull to just under teh gills, then I take some pliers and pull the skin back as far as I can and use my fillet knife to cut the skin from the fish aout 1\2 an inch down from the cut all the way around then I usually step on the head and take the pliers and grab the 1\2 inch flap of skin and pull downwards twoards the tail, after I get a few inches I go to the other side and pull it down and repeat until the skin pulls off like a sock, I'm sure there are other methods, this is just mine.

4. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Randy, do you skin all your catfish? I always fillet my catch.
    Do you steak it or cook it whole?

Jaime

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,I find it easiest to hang a cat by the bottom lip by a large hook I have made just for this. then I cut just through the skin ,being carefull not to cut too deep into the flesh ,all the way around the head just behind the dorsal fin on top and just below the gills below.. After this I make a cut from each side at the pectoral fins to the vent on each side being careful to just cut through the skin ,and a long cut from the dorsal fin to the base of the tail. After the cuts I grasp the skin on each side and pull evenlt till to the tail after both sides are skinned i skin the belley ,this is a great piece of meat often wasted by some .Be careful cause it will sometimes pull off during the skinning especially with smaller cats ,after skinning I then either fillet or steak depending on size.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's much easier to fillet them, especially if you use an electric knife. Believe it or not, if you're using a regular fillet knife that's too sharp, it's difficult to fillet off the skin, because the sharp knife cuts through the skin too easily.

7. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
  8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Well, i usually cut behind the gills, and around the bone under the top fin, then I cut down the back to the tail, I take the skinnin plier and pull the skin off. Next I cut down the back, and separate the meat to one side or the other of the backbone, instead of starting at the tail like in the video. When I get to the ribs, I slide the knife over them as in the video. Then I do the other side, and remove it all from the head and bones. I cut off the fins and all bony stuff, and usually the guts stay with the head and bones. I take the meat, and bury the mess. Usually no bones in it.