how do you sight cast to carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by richmondherperman, Oct 16, 2008.

1. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    What lure's and baits do people use on fly and spining tackle for them also can you use casting tackle.

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Sight casting imply's that you can see the carp feeding. Either through fins/tails breaking the surface, swirls of mud, etc. Sometimes when they are taking things off the surface they won't touch anything else. Just so you know.

Lures, not many that I know of that a carp would hit on anything approaching a regular basis. You might snag one eventually but thats hardly fishing in my opinion.

Doughballs or a hook with several pieces of canned corn on it, that they will eat. They love corn, cornmeal, whole kernal corn, you name it they like it. They also appear to have a taste for Mollasses and Vanilla, either alone or together.

Tricky thing is, they are tricky! They don't have teeth up front at all, so they suck it up off the bottom to the back of their throat (where their teeth are) and most often blow it right back out again. That will come across your line as a light TAP. Set the hook and you have nothing, because the doughball went in and right back out. They may do this 2, 3,4,5 times before actually taking it.

I'd strongly suggest you do some reading on hair rig, bolt rig, etc.

Basic doughballs for carp are easy, I prefer to boil mine, I think they stay on the hook longer. I like to then take them and swirl them around in a bowl with a little mollasses for flavor. Then run them around a plate with some cornmeal to make them not sticky to handle. This puts a nice cornmeal mollases scent in the water to draw them up to your bait. Where they find more of the same goodness!

Lots of recipes around if you look. Box of frosted shredded wheat, bit of Mollasses and a cup of flour is my current hot bait. Google is your friend!

Ohh and I use light spinning tackle all the time to catch carp.

3. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    Yeah i don't have any spining tackle now i will be getting some thoe.

4. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    My brother got a little 3 or 4 pound carp on a spiner for crapie jiging it on the bottom in a pond and in florda he god a 30 40 pounder on bread.,

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    on my home lake in southern ohio the best time to get them is in the spring, what i do i chum for them, i will go to a cove where i have seen them throw out a can of corn, i will go to another cove and do the same, i will do that in 3 diffrent spots then go back to the first put some corn om my hook and have fun, been doin that for a few years now and it works for me..... almost caught the state record last spring,missed it by 2.5 lbs its lots of fun...give that i try....good luck

6. kittiehunternm

kittiehunternm New Member

State:
    ohio
    the best bait i used for carp is oatmeal 99 cents at wal mart mix it on sight with the lake/river water to about the consistency of play dough lol caught 32 commons in 2 hours one time good luck