How Do You Sharpen Circle Hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Mutt84, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Mutt84

Mutt84 New Member

State:
    Alaska
    OK I've only been here 1 day but I've been reading most of the day.How do you sharpen circle hooks and what stone or tool do you prefer? All help will be much appreciated.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jay. Good question.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jay Welcome to the BOC. Most of the major brands of circle hooks come sharp out of the box. If I needed to sharpen one I would try a point sharpener or diamond sharpner.

4. Mutt84

Mutt84 New Member

State:
    Alaska
    Thanks Mickey for the advice and welcome!

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jay, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there.
    As mentioned above some of the circle hooks come sharp but not all of them. The best way I've found to sharpen or re-sharpen any hook is with a flat file and a vice.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Any hook with a point that curves inward (such as circle hooks like Wright & McGill's Eagle Claw models, etc.) needs to be sharpened differently from standard hooks. Use a flat, fine-tooth file or one coated with what is often referred to as "diamond dust." A round file does a poor job. Hold the hook between thumb and forefinger and take just two or three strokes along the outside edge. Do not attempt to file the inside of the hook. It is best to stroke the file from the point toward the bend. Circles are rather costly . I use Gamakatsu circles . Also welcome to the b.o.c.

7. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    welcome Jay glad to have you on board. i have been wondering that same thing.

8. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I usually lose them or throw them away if I think they're dull. I sure would like to be able to sharpen mine. That would save me some bucks.

9. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    good question, now i know how to sharpen them

10. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I may take one or two strokes with my hook sharpener on my Ross pliers.