How do you sell your fur?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by 223Smitty, May 14, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just curious as to how many of you all put-up your fur, sell green, whole?

I put-up all my fur to sell, to me it's another part of trapping to enjoy. If you don't skin, flesh, board....why not (lack of room, tools, time, experience)?

For those who don't (but are interested/wanting to), Hal Sullivan has a great & informative book called "FurHandling 2000" (around $12 I think) that would be a good investment for anyone considering it or wanting to learn.

Smitty

2. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I usually sell the whole animal, mainly coon, or i'll skin it and put it in the freezer and find a buyer.. It's not too hard to find a buyer around here, some old guys buy them, and will pay you extra to tan the hide, and things like that so they can make things with them. I've done that a few times. That book sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out, might give me a few tips.

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I put up all my fur and sell at he fur harvester sales every year put on by the Fur Takers of America. I used to give demos on proper fur handling, trapping and snaring at some of the national conventions of the associations I belong to and that is a good book you refer to. There's a few good books on the subject you'll find in the trapping magazines by some well known trappers.

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You (in a way) brought-up a good point John, trapping associations. Belonging to atleast your state association is not only a way to support & protect your trapping rights (as well as for future generations), but a way to learn all aspects of trapping from regulations/laws to furhandling. Most association yearly dues are $25, and you get a year subscription to some great reading materials with it.

Most any trapper will be more than willing to share information they've learned over the years, simply to contribute to the carrying-on of the tradition (of trapping).

Here in Indiana, there's an "attempt" at public awareness....to change the public perception of trappers. Matter of fact, I was at a Trapper Education class Saturday (crappy weather & all :roll_eyes: )....lol, there were nearly as many CO's there as attendees.

Guess I'm getting alittle off-topic, but your post just happen to remind me of these things......back to fur... I know I mentioned this in another post, but I usually sell my fur through the State Association auctions. It helps them via commissions....helps the local furbuyers to keep their doors open....and I walk-out the door with my money (or fur).

For those of you who haven't.....give it a try this season. Do some research & reading during off-season....pick-up a beam, fleshing knife & a few stretchers in the meantime & get ready for the upcomming season.

Smitty

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I kill so few coons and coyotes, I jsut give it to an old man I know who sells furs. If iI didn't it wuld sjut go to waste and i dont want that.

6. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I've sold my fur to Danny Perry out of Oakdale, La. for the last 15 years. I've always sold my hides green. This year at the end of the season Tony Howard(cuttingout69) and myself went down south for 3 days and worked at his fur shed. We had a blast and learned a pile about putting up fur. We are currently working on building stretching boards and getting the fur shed ready. We intend to put up all our fur this coming year.

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Ever since I was little I wanted to be a trapper. Never knew anyone who did it and had no one to teach me. I think I'm going to buy that book. I want to say that I have trapped and tanned the hide.

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The book I'd mentioned is strictly on furhandling, there's no trapping info in it.

We have an site called Indiana Trapper Talk, it's ran by a friend of mine (Lonnie Phillips) who is the current ISTA President. You're welcome to register & ask any questions you like.
    http://lonnielphillips.proboards22.com/index.cgi?

Also, here's a link to the ISTA website, there are Trapper Education classes all the time (just had 1 Saturday in Muncie), and they are attended by inexperienced, as well as experienced trappers as well. You are provided with lots of reading info, given an overview of trapping & gear, shown how to make a few different sets (demos), given a free trap at the end....and usually provided a meal inbetween :smile2: . There are alot of great people who put these on & attend.
    http://www.indianatrappers.org/

Don't hesitate to ask questions, regardless of how "simple" they may seem. lol....trust me, I'll be having PLENTY of my own on this site about hookin' into some big cats!

Trapping is much like catfishin'......in that you're better-off gathering all the information & advice you can from as many experienced outdoorsmen as possible, and apply them & decide for yourself what works & what doesn't. There are many methods to end-up with the same results.

If you're serious, and do decide to give trapping a try (and I hope you do), be sure to know all the State regulations that apply, and keep foremost in your mind that what 1 trapper does....reflects on all trappers.

My email is available in my profile, feel free to use it anytime you like.

Thanks!
    Smitty

9. bird_dog2011

bird_dog2011 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey i just sell all my furs to like a fur bearer or one of my good friends that actually goes to like chicago to sell theres (about 31/2 hours away)he really gets good money for his sometimes i ask him to sell mine to that guy but we just sold rabit furs there for about 10-15 dollars for 12 furs. me and my brother do this so we splitt it 50-50 and some times we will just sell them were my uncles go to sell theres in cascade Iowa.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

10. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I sold to NAFA this year and was pleased. My state has free pickup and it supports the UTK.

11. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I sale direct to and Exporter. I also went down after season this year and worked for him in the fur shed. In fact I do believe he is the #1 exporter of otter in the US.

12. trapperboy

trapperboy New Member

State:
    illinois
    this is a good website to get tips and sell your items and buy new its called www.trapperman.com

justice

13. jacko

jacko New Member

State:
    south dakota
    I sell all my fur to NAFA, and all the spring beaver to neb buyer in the round

Jacko

14. Big Bird

Big Bird New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am a hobby trapper but I have really enjoyed learning how to put up the fur I catch. I sold to NAFA this year and felt really good about the grading and the process in general. I liked that you could watch and listen to your lot sell over the internet at the auction.