How do you rot cheese?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by wildturkey, May 23, 2009.

1. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have looked in the library and cannot find anything on how to rot cheese. Pete said you could cook it down and get all the grease out and it made good trotline bait. After ruining a good pot and wasting some cheese I am back where I started. The cheese scraps I bought at the bait store has no odor to it. Is there a process for making it stink?
    Any help appreciated.
    Jim

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Put it in my Refrigerator,,,,:roll_eyes:

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Use Limburger! lol
    My uncle used some rotten cheese one time, he got it from a small cheese business and it was already rotten. I thought I would give it a try so I bought a jar of cheese wiz, opened it up and waited for it to turn, NOT lol There is so much preservative in it you could wait twenty years and it still would look and smell the same! lol I got some cotton balls and coated them down real good with some old blue cheese, now that will turn for you, but is expensive. The hooks are hard to get through the cotton and the cats were hitting on liver that night so I never tried the cheese thing again..Good luck :wink:

4. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Leave it out in the sun, it will rot real quick.

5. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    What you're looking to do is encourage bacterial growth. I would suggest placing the cheese in a closed container to avoid "contamination" from mold, and place in a warm and humid location. Release gases as needed. Cheese is a "fermented" food and lends itself well to "rotting" or over fermentation. The kind of cheese you're using is important. Bacteria need moisture. You may need to add water or milk to a harder cheese. Avoid a cheese that has too much fat as well. Fats and oils can become rancid which isn't what you're looking for. Hope this helps.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jim it takes time to turn fresh cheese into stinking cheese. Ours we added boiling water to. Would still take 4 months or so to get to the sinking stage.

Also on cooking the cheese and getting the oil out. You have to use low heat, All your doing is warming it enough to get the oil to start rising to the top of it.
    Pete