How do you rig your pole for the Great Miami River?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cali2ohio, Aug 22, 2007.

1. cali2ohio

cali2ohio New Member

State:
    Milford, OH
    How does everyone rig up there pole for the river. do you use a bobber? how much weight do you use etc........just curios?

2. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Mike, that question has a lot of answers. It's purely situational. Yes, you can use floats quite effectively. I like slip floats so you can adjust the depth you're fishing. On a river, you can play the current, keeping your rod tip high, and float a bait right where you want it from a distance. Try it when you're fishing a hole where the current swirls around. When you've floated through the area you 're targeting, retrieve it back slowly to hit those spots again or hit new spots. You can also tight line with a float BELOW your sinker. This will keep your bait off bottom while it stays in place. Sort of like a patternoster rig. Try not to use egg sinkers. They can roll along bottom with the current and snag you up good! I like the tear drop shaped river sinkers. Go heavy if you need to. I often use 3 or 4 ounce weights, depending on flow and bait size.

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I start with a 8/0 Mustad on a 12-15" leader 60lbs mono. Then a good swivel a couple of small beads a 3oz no roll sinker if not much currant up to a 8oz if needed on 40lbs mono. If I am fishing a lot of snags I will do away with the leader and swivel and let the beads go all the way to the hook, this seems to help me get unsnagged better.

4. cali2ohio

cali2ohio New Member

State:
    Milford, OH
    float below the sinker?...explain please? i went to the river last weekend, caught two but got more turtles than anything. would the bait being off the bottom help not get them annoying turtles

5. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Float below the sinker keeps your bait off bottom. It works pretty well until you get into too much flow. No, if there are turtles around, especially soft shells, it won't save your bait.

6. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jason when you say you use teardrop sinkers are you using no snag sinkers where the line runs thru the upper part of the teardrop or do you use no roll sinkers where the line runs thru the top all the way thru the bottom of the sinker?

7. shovelheadslayer

shovelheadslayer New Member

State:
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Whats the best kind of hook to use. Is steel hooks the best for the fish and wat style hook, circle, straight..?

8. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Now you did it, you asked the hook question.
    Circle hooks or Kahle hooks are the two main ones. Everyone has their own opinion and not afraid to give it.
    I like Kahles 4/0 to 10/0, depending on where I'm at. I've lost too many fish at the boat using Circle hooks.

9. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I like Gamakatsu octopus hooks for set hooks. Daichi for circle hooks. My cousin, the pro fishin' guide, likes Owner hooks but I've never tried them for cats. They do make a good hook that really stays sharp. I only use circles when I have good, sturdy rod holders, usually on a boat. I've caught a lot of flatheads using circles with rod holders. Just have to let them load the pole before you take it out of the holder. Only takes a few seconds and is usually hooked by the time you can get out of your seat. When I'm free spooling with a clicker, I use the octopus hooks. Gamakatsu also makes a hook called the big river. Only for use with big baits.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use the gamakatsu octupus hooks as well. i really like the hook all around. i used to use kahles and had problems with them hooking back into my baits. i have also had them bend out. the octopus j-style seems to have plenty of gap and the diameter needed and they are very sharp keeping a good point for along time...rollo