How do you rig your line

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by billNpam, Oct 11, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    During my years of catfishing I have seen many ways people complete there set ups on there line. I have seen the following
    1. Swivel, line, weight, line, hook
    2. Weight, line , hook
    3. Swivel, line, hook, line weight
    I think you guys get the Idea I could go on forever. The question I have is which way do you perfer and why. Have you had better luck with one then the other. And do you change depending on which type of bait you use.

2. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good question... I'm interested in finding out about the different rigs people use, too...

3. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I set up my rods primarily for channel cats, but do have some rigged heavier for bigger flatheads. I rig them both the same. I'm a huge fan of braided lines (PowerPro is my pick), so this makes up my main line. I put on a slip weight (use different styles depending on what type of water I'm on) with a plastic bead on the main line and tied to a heavy guage barrel swivel. From here I tie on a mono leader (Big Game) usually 1 to 2 feet in length. I like for the mono leader to be 5 lbs lighter in strength so whenever I get hopelessly snagged I only lose a short length of line and a hook. I'm also a big fan of circle hooks and these finish off my setup. Sometimes I'll tie on a longer leader, maybe up to 3 or 4 feet, and attach a pegged float to get bait up and out of heavy grass. Hope this is helpful.

mike in SW VA

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use both my rigs for flathead fishing. Berkly big game line 30# i use 2 or more onces of weight depending where i and fishing then a bead , swivel, and a 12- 18 inch leader with a 6/0 hook. hooks size depending on bait

5. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have two different rigs I use regularly.
    For bottom fishing, fast moving water, winter time and windy days I will use an egg weight (size varies but normally 1 to 2 oz.) bead (to protect my knot) heavy snap swivel then a 24-36" leader with a small cigar type float about 8-10" (keeps my bait a little off the bottom) from a baited 5/0 circle hook.
    In ponds, small lakes, no water current, or calm days I use a 10" slip bobber with a egg weigth (normlly 1/2oz is plenty) a bead (again to protect the knot) heavy snap swivel then a 12-24" leader and a baited 5/0 circle hook. When I use the bobber I will remove the leader and attach a 2-3oz pyramid type weight to the swivel and cast out to the area that I want to fish and find my depth that way (the pyramid weight will pull the bobber under if bobber is set too shallow, keep adjusting my slip knot in 1' incriments until I can see the bobber floating in my hole, then I replace the pyramid weight with my leader and cut bait and adjust the knot according to however far I want to fish off the bottom-dont forget the 12-24" leader when adjusting your slip knot).

6. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    One more thing If Im using live bait I will cut the leader size in about half from the above mentioned methods. Live bait doesnt need that long of a leader. Hope this helps somebody.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use a hook then bobber stop then a bead then my no roll sinker.I dont use a leader so i can feel the bite better.

8. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Sinker, bead, swivel, leader, hook.

9. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Good question... I'm interested in finding out about the different rigs people use, too...

10. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    for most of the lakes around here, i usually slide on an egg sinker and tie my hook directly to the line. then i pinch on a small weight about two foot from my hook. when i fish a river or lake known for bigger fish, i will slide on a sinker, bead, barrel swivel, leader, hook. good luck:roll_eyes:

11. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I fish from the bank of a pond or lake. I'll use a Carolina rig (sliding sinker on main line) with a bead between sinker and swivel. I'll then attach leader to the other end of the swivel.

When I'm fishing, I'll leave about 18" of slack and hang a bobber between two eyes on the rod to keep the line reasonably taut. When I see the bobber jumping or moving up or down, I know something is playing with the line. On a good day, the bobber goes flying when the fish sets the hook by itself.

-- Rich

12. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a slip sinker rig.

13. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Depends on where I'm at and how I'm fishing.

Drifting on the bottom; slinky weight (as light as I can get away with), bead, swivel, leader, peg float, hook

Drifting suspended; bobber stop, small bead, slip float (8" weighted), bead, swivel, leader, hook

Bank fishing; Egg sinker (as heavy as I can get away with) bead, swivel, leader, hook

Just my favorite three.

Jon

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
  15. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    James, I use this same set-up, but I use a small zip-tie on my sinker to connect it to the "sinker-slide". When you hang-up the sinker and pull "hard" the tie breaks! The tie's that I use have a 20lb tensile strength. I hope this helps.

16. cj7848

cj7848 New Member

State:
    texas
    Egg slip sinker, bead, swivel, leader, circle hook. I'm a creature of habit and should venture to try new set-ups, but hey, its always worked for me, and why mess with something that works.

17. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    GMC i have very good luck with the rig and my home river see my river is tidal and has few to no snags depending on where i'm fishing. heres a tip depending on your line's lb test try tying your sinker to a lighter length of line just rember the safety rule of 10 which is for every ounce you cast use 10lbs of breaking strength for example 3oz sinker 30lb test line. of course if you're using braid this is easier to do.

18. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    This is what I use as a drift rig, The weights are made so that it is easy to add or remove weight without rerigging

Attached Files:

19. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I go polomar knot tied to main line about 2 ft above bank sinker tied directly to end of line with impoved clinch knot (2-12oz sinker). No leaders, easy to tie and strong knots, and keeps baits up off the bottom slightly. Only negative in my book is that you will lose more line with hangups but I fish out of a boat and can usually get fairly close before breaking off. IMHO, the simplicity of the rig is huge.