How do you rig to drift fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by YUKON JACK, Feb 8, 2008.

1. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    BEEN WANTING TO TRY DRIFT FISHING BUT DON'T KNOW HOW TO RIG ANY SUGGESIONS?:big_smile:

2. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    Ryan try the Members Library. Subject is covered in depth and very well. Haven't drift fished before but, this will be the year.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Do you wish to fih a lake or a river? There are two different (probably a lot more than that) ways.

In a lake I use cut shad on a three way rig I take a swivel and tie it to the main line. Then I tie on a leader with a circle hook. to the other end of the swivel I ada a leader long enoug to keep my baid at a chosen depth, usuall about 12 inches.

Then I go to a likely spot, find out the wind direction, put the boat in position that the wind will push you over that likely area and fish. I fish into the wind, meaning I drop my baits over the opposite side of which I am drifting which keeps the lines from going under the boat.

Whn you drop your baits, don't cast. A good size channel will tangle you up and stop you from fishin for an hour or so. I usually drop mine straight over the side or use a little flippin motion. When the sinker hits, I allow about 3-4 pulls of the line, or until a 45-60 degree angle between rod and line, engage the reel and put it in the rod holder. Make VERY certain that your rod holders are sturdy enough. A 5 lb channel grabbin a bite 8 feet from the boat makes for real exciting strikes. Yes make sure your drag is set properly as well.

Good Luck, someone will be along directly to help you out on the river drifting method.

Shawn(OH)

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    If it is a pretty snag free bottom I use a Carolina rig when I drift. I use about 18-24" leader and put a small float about 8" above the hook. I use the cheapie oval styrofoam ones from walmart. Like $1 for a 3 pack. I do not use much weight, 3/8 oz usually works for me. If I use a lot of weight it moves across the bottom in a jerking fashion. I like it to glide over the bottom. I don't know that it matters, it is just what I prefer. The more line I have out the farther I space my poles apart. Like Shawn mentioned, to close together and the cats will twist two lines up in a knot like mad.

If I am drifting where there are a lot of snags, I use the same Carolina rig with a Kat Bobber and no float at the bottom. I set the depth of the Kat Bobber a couple feet off the bottom so I don't get snagged up all the time.