How do you rig it?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Shenandoah, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm just looking for some options on how to rig catfish bait. Is there any links to other sites or some past threads anyone could supply? I use different types of bait such as liver, night crawlers, blue gill, and chubs and I fish typically shallow water <5 feet but sometimes >20 and the current varies alot with little to none to very strong. I'm just looking for what will work best for the different situations.

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    check out the libary theres lots of info on there.

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    if im fishing worms i will use a circle hook and glob them on not thread them . if im using livers i will use a treble hook in little to no current in heavy current i will put the liver in a pantyhose and hood it on a circle hook . if im using cut bait i will use a circle hook and chunk the bait from small to large and hook it once trying not to hook it where it hides the tip

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Search on "Carolina rigs". Its what I use and your conditions are about the same as mine.

-Jim-

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    You can also use a three way rig. But the question I ask is are bank fishing most? Is it a rocky,muddy or what type of cover? A carolina with a float 6 or so in above the hook works well also.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont use swivels if i dont have to,i dont like making anymore weak spots in my line then needs to be,the only time i use them is in very snaggy areas.I use a no roll sinker, bead,bobber stop, then hook.I can detect bites better especally the light ones this way.

7. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    For cut bait, don't forget the stand up jig, or for multiple hooks, the drop shot rig( a cool variation is the drop shot with the end weight being a jig head). A Carolina rig with an additional float above the hook is a great live bait rig. For drifting, your bait walker weight or the slinky are hard to beat. A substitute for the slinky can be made with a snap tied to a piece of small diameter line with split shots attached. A shotted float in rivers or creeks may be your most useful rig. In the brush where casting accurately is necessasary, it is tough to out do the Texas rig, with cut bait, night crawlers, or even liver. Different rigs for different situations. You can make them easy or more complicated. For advanced rigs, I sometimes add planer boards, spinner blades, or rattles.

8. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Probably not gonna be bank fishing. I do most of mine from a kayak. Mostly rocky where I'm at with down river flowing channels but some of the spots I've got are deadfalls with leafy/muddy bottoms.

9. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    +1. I use a Carolina rig 95% of the time. It's the best all around rig for the type of fishing I do and it works for me.

10. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a three way rig or a variation of a three way rig for mostly all of my fishing. I mostly fish places with a good current flow. When I fish areas without current I think a float rig is hard to beat. Around here it seems that the fish that are holding in areas with no current are hard to get a bite from. I haven't fished a lake in a while but when I did suspending the bait with a float seemed to out produce bottom fishing. Good luck to you.