How do you rig different bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Turtleracer, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Turtleracer

Turtleracer New Member

State:
    Upper So. Cal.
    How do you rig different bait? Like whole shrimp, shrimp tails (with shell or with out), beef liver, chicken liver, stink bait, night crawlers, etc.

Turtleracer
    aka Craig

2. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    and most of the fishing i do is in the canals around calexico. due to the currents in the canals, i rig almost everything with a flat 2 - 4 oz weight followed by a 24 inch leader. i use 50lb superline (cabelas) so i have no worries when i am pulling the cats up the canal enbankments.

for stink bait i use mostly loopers stuff, but for shrimp and cutbait i use circle hooks.

hope that helps.

3. Tailgunner

Tailgunner New Member

State:
    CA.
    I only use shrimp in salt water (live) and just fish a small hook behind their heads, along the back and out through a joint.

For livers, I only used chicken. I use a treble or quad hook (Bass Pro Shops had them on clearance), hook on as much meat as I can and wrap the entire thing w/ sewing thread. 4 or 5 passes around the 'glob' usually keeps it on the hook. The thread doesn't even need to be tied on, just wrapped.

Stink bait I use the mesh sacks or tubes w/ treble hooks. Use a stick to push them down into the bait & rebait every 20-30 minutes depending on the current.

Regardless of the bait, I like using a sliding egg sinker with a snap swivel below it. This way when the cat runs, he might not feel the weight..

Good Luck!!

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Russ... Thanks for the info.... I have thread but have not used it yet... mostly use big slabs of mack or sardines... and the colorado river ... live baits... then use "loopers" rig for stink and tubes as well ..... make my bait with worm parts for gills...

Bayrunner Ray

5. Turtleracer

Turtleracer New Member

State:
    Upper So. Cal.
    THANKS GUYS, THE INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

CRAIG