How do you rig a jug line?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by daniel-delarosa, Jan 28, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    i always hear of people using jug lines. do they just float around the lake or do you run them all the way down? bait high or low? is there a limit of jugs you can use?

2. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Daniel,

I think that it's a matter of personal preference. On a lake I may weight them down in a cove. On the missouri, I might just throw them out and let them drift. I just throw out ten at a time. It's too hard for me to watch anymore than that!

3. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Howdy Daniel - I agree with Terry. I've seen them used different ways. Sometimes the catman is setting them a particular way due to current, structure or a variety of other things.
    Personally, I use about a 3 oz weight to anchor them in bays or along river banks. Any variations are based on previous experience in a particular area. During the spawn on the main lake I like to free float them along steep rock walls in deep water. But thats just me. Other people prefer doing it differently.
    You can find the regs for fishing at http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fishregs2.htm

best to ya

Larry

4. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Daniel: Welcome to the BOC. The best advice you will get has already been given. There is a vast amount of information here on jug fishiing. Just do a search and read up on it. What you will find is that almost everyone has their own preference as to size of jugs, length of lines, baits, free float or anchor, size and style of hooks and marking of the jugs. You will have to experiment a bit on the waters you primarily fish and adapt to the methods best suited to your preferences.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Oklahoma allows 20 jugs with a max of 5 hooks per jug. Other states don't allow jug fishing, and then other states have completly different regulations on their use. Best advise is to find out what Your state allows. They can float free or be anchored. Hooks can be placed anywhere in the water column. It is best to vary the hook depth as blues will suspend and you need to find their comfort zone - then set your lines accordingly. Some use just a few ounces of lead to hold the hooks down, others use several pounds to keep their jug where it was put out. Count how many you put out and make a maximum effort to retrieve all the jugs.

6. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Daniel,

Be sure to check the regs on the lake, too. Some lakes don't allow jugs at all.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    On my freefloating jugs, I use a 16p or 20p nail for a weight--just enough to sink the bait. I like the jugline to be as long as possible without hanging up too often. On anchored jugs, I use a weight about 1/2 the floatation capacity of the jug--2# for a 2-liter soda jug. That way, if a big cat drags the anchored jug to deeper water, the weight doesn't cause the jug to sink out of sight. I like to spread my hooks over the entire water column.

8. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Hey daniel you might check this link out http://www.jugfishing.net/flagging_juglines.htmlThese are some of the Jugs that I use, I use the big ones because I fish on Grand, big lake big waves, I think the water you fish, you can get by with smaller Jugs. I also use some 1 gal Anti Freeze Jugs (get them from Your boat dealer) FOr smaller Jugs you can use 1 liter pop Bottles. When ever I make my own, I spray the bottles with a primer, then turn around and paing them with a floresent Red, Pink or orange. You can spot them from a long way off, and you do not end up chansing a bunch or gulls, or any other white bird sitting on the water you think is one of you white jugs.

9. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Bobby I had a big smile on my face when you mentioned the gulls! :lol:
    My brother uses jugs that are kinda like a frizbie - he makes them out of a sheet of 2" closed cell styrofoam. They are about the same size around as a frizbie and a groove around the edge to wind the line onto. Because they are flat they are hard to see if the waves are of any size. If it's windy you have to watch for gulls using them as landing pads. :eek:oooh:
    Don't get me wrong - they catch cats - and I even thought about making some for myself - but I'll stick to the foam noodles that I can spot more easily and not depend on the gulls! :roll_eyes:

10. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i use a railroad spike for weight put two hooks above it about 24 inches apart i use the small clorax bottles with the coke bottle neck for wrapping the 60 foot of line around it i also use a small coffee can with soft foam lining with a bolt in the hole in the bottom sticking out the back to put in a cordless drill to reel up when fishing deep water works well just watch for hooks when it is coming up to the top

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For me, the 2-liter soda jugs seem to work best; decent visibility without taking up as much room as 3-liter soda jugs. Inside the jug, put 3 or 4 ounces of small gravel, tire weights, or something similar that will slide, but not roll, and not only will that keep the wind from blowing the jug around so much, but when a fish hits, the weights slide down into the neck and keep the jug in a tipped, or 'flagged', position.

12. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Hey larry, I would hate to depend on the gulls up at Grand, there are thousands of them and then add the pelicans in, Tell your brother to either stick a piece of pve pipe painted some color for a flag, or go to the electric supply and he can buy the marker flags chieap. I have seen those flat ones, I have no idea how they ever find them.I am with you I would have to laugh at the birds sitting on my Jugs.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The two colors I can see best on the water are yellow and florescent green. The latter has to be painted white first for best visibility, and the florescent paint costs about 3 times as much as the yellow paint; costs a nickel to paint a jug yellow, and 20 cents to paint on florescent green. Naturally, I paint mine yellow. Black can be seen just at far, but I'd be chasing too many stumps. Trying to determine what's a jug and what's not at half a mile or a mile, even with 10X binoculars can be pretty difficult.

14. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    I'm in Kansas where juglines are illegal. But am planning on makeing a fishing trip this year to Oklahoma. Making juglines isn't a problem, there are plenty of diagrams to build from. My question is: how many juglines are lost by 'big fish' pulling the float under? or will the float eventually rise back to the top of the water? Thanks,

15. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    It would take a really big catfish to hold a 2 litre jug under water for any length of time. Most catfish and jugs are lost because the fisherman puts them out and goes home instead of watching them or checking them every hour or so.

Every time I go out on the river I find at least five abandoned jugs floating near the bank or tangled up with floating wood per mile of river. I make a habit of removing them from the river when found. Oddly enough, most of them do not have the required information on the jug... almost like the fisherman expected them to be picked up.

I'm sure some of the jugs are dragged around by fish and the owner cannot locate them, but most of the unidentified ones do not have fish on them and the hooks are rusty.

In short, please do your part by keeping up with your jugs and remove them from the water when you are through with them. There's already enough trash in the water.

16. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    LEADSINKER,jugs are "NOT"illeagle in kansas,they have to be weighted then they are concidered "set lines" they cannot be free floating.then you are allowed 8 per preson with 2 hooks per.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Larry, no big cat can hold down a 2-liter jug forever, but they can hold it down long enough to get out of your sight; also, they can run into brush or snags. If the jug is underwater when the line gets snagged, it's a really long shot that the cat is going to pull the snag loose so the jug can surface. Another thing that can cause a jug to go under and stay under is for it to get hung up on bottom in a swift current. Depending on the speed of the current, the jug may be mostly under water, just under the surface, or a couple or three feet under. I've 'lost' jugs that way, only to locate them a week or two later when the river went down. It's also possible to 'lose' a jug that's in plain sight 50' away from you. A jug hung up on an underwater dike can be just too dangerous to try to retreive, especially if the river is much higher than normal. I won't even try to jugfish the Arkansas when it's up over the normally dry dikes, although I do have some plans to try jugging some calm water backwaters during high water this spring. On my last jugging trip, I had several jugs hung on an underwater dike, and I was trying to retreive them by locking the motor down, easing up to the dike, having a person in the front of the boat grab a jug, then throw the motor in reverse with lots of throttle. Works ok MOST of the time. The current got the boat sideways, and by the time I had it straight, we were going over the dike. Scratch one propeller. Luckily, we were able to limp back to the launching ramp, picking up the freefloating jugs on the way. But we left any jug hung on a dike. I've got a couple of ideas on how to get jugs off underwater dikes without getting too close, but I haven't tried them yet.

18. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Jerry you be careful. Those low water dams are dangerous when the water is fast :crazy:

Larry it's true jugs can be pulled under and even lost. When fishing a free floating jug a catfisherman can expect to chase jugs but it's less common with weighted jugs. Unless it's a bigun!!

With the exception of fast water conditions that Jerry described a fish that is large enough to submerge a 2 litre bottle won't keep it down very long before it tires out and the jug surfaces. The exception would be a monster size fish that can keep it submerged a longer time but even they will wear down in time. With the larger fish the jug is sometimes found a long distance away from where it was placed with the fish still hooked and dragging the jug. For the most part if a jug is found a great distance away (excluding fast water conditions) without a fish you can be sure there had been a big one that managed to free itself of the hook.

Reguardless, a fish isn't going to submerge a jug and let it resurface hundreds of yards away. The steady pressure of the jug will put enough pressure on the fish to cause it to seek a depth that provides relief. It would take a monster to hold a 2 litre bottle under water for very long. One that is found a great distance away has usually been pulled along the surface, if the fish is still on the hook. Otherwise it probably floated or was wind blown part of the way after the fish came off.

Having to chase a running jug is a treat for a jug fisherman because he knows what kind of fish it takes to move his jug.