How do you rate your fishing trip?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by odtimr, Aug 6, 2007.

1. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    How do you rate your fishing trip?
    What are your values in regard to fishing trips? Is a trip great because you caught a monster fish maybe your personal best, or maybe because you caught a bunch of just eating size of your favorite fish? Maybe the trip was great because of the companionship of a friend, or friends, or your chosen one, or especially fond to me is the time with my sons growing up. Maybe the trip remains in your memory because of the "just right conditions at the lake or the river." I suppose we all rate high fishing trips with those who taught us (usually a relative) to fish, or at least fish for this certain "best" fish. I loved fishing and then kids grown, I moved to a dry, dry, dry part of the country. 100 miles plus to the only water. Now retired I am rekindling the love of fishing . Along with the grandkids this is why these are called the golden years. Through the years I was privileged to be part of some great fishing, including size and numbers. The 1950, 60's were great times for fishing. Now I value and judge my success fishing somewhat different than when younger. The important things to me now are not the size or number of fish (mostly a good thing) but the quality of time fishing. A good time had by all, or maybe a night alone on the river seem the best part of fishing. Luck

2. Catfishing=Fun

Catfishing=Fun New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well i usually rate my fishing trips on how much fish i catch. i hate not catching fish but u cant always catch something

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I rate my fishing trips on the time spent on the river with good conversation and enjoying the best that nature has to provide. Some of the most memorable trips are those spent in adverse conditions and those spent with my dad and grandfather. Those tend to stick in your mind the most!!!
    I have fished with some of the finest folks in the last few years (most of them are right here on the BOC), they know who they are!!! I will never forget those trips either, I have memories to last a lifetime, all good ones!!!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    since i usually go alone .If I have a bit of relaxation its good .but its nice to at least catch something .

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Catching fish to me is just a bonus to add to a good time on the water!!!

6. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    While I enjoy catching fish, I also enjoy having a pleasant time by the water. The latter is a lot easier than the former.

-- Rich

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    It all depends. If we're out on my boat with me, I rate the trip by the number of survivors at the end of the day.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am different than most..I fish to catch fish only, I dont enjoy fishing if they are not hitting...But on the rare chance they are biting I have a good time:wink:

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    For me it's about achieving what I set out to do on a particular trip. I very rarely have an outing I don't enjoy but if I set out to catch two dozen bait size bluegill and only get ten then I believe I failed to achieve my fishing goal. That doesn't mean the time spent out was wasted; there is always something cool to see or something to be learned.
    I recently spent a night on the river and the goal was to catch a big fish. We boated twenty fish between us and that is a good outing in anyones book but we didn't catch the biggun.
    Was I frustrated and disappointed with the fishing? Absolutely! Did I enjoy the night? Again absolutely. The weather was perfect, the company excellent.
    In my book it's totally possible to be frustrated and satisfied by the same outing...W

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I can't add to what already has been said. Its a combination of many things. All I can say is I've never had a bad trip.

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    George, I have a a few bad trips but the fishin' was good.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    YEA! I always found the "BLOTTER" to be the worst. LOL! AHHHHH! The 60's and 70's. LOL!

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Personally I just enjoy getting away from the fast pace of life. Relax ,enjoy nature,don't really matter if I catch a bunch of fish.Good thing cause I usually come home smelling like a skunk:roll_eyes:(don't think the fish like me)Oh well maybe next time.

14. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I rate mine on the fun factor. If it is a nice day and things are going good I can't complain because I did not catch. They will be there another aday.
    Bill

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I usually rate it on fish caught and size but after my recent trip I am begining to rethink how I rate it. I was having a great time with company I was with long before we even had our first bite and as JW said I started to look at catching a fish as a bonus rather than a must