How do you put your liver on the hook

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by JHalden, Aug 19, 2009.

1. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey everyone chicken liver has been the most productive bait for channel cats that ive used. I recently been cutting them and putting them in lil spawn sacs but it is a hassle when you gotta change bait that mesh netting stays on the hook so good i gotta use scissors. Has anyone tried using a baitloop to help keep their bait on? Maybe some thread on top of that if the baitloop isnt enough. I noticed I got more bites when I had that big old sloppy piece of liver on the hook with magic thread than when in the neat little sacs. Also how big of a piece of liver do you like usin? How far can you stretch one container of livers?

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Use a treble hook. You cut the liver into pieces and slide a treble hook up thru it. Snap your treble onto a snap swivel. The trebles cradle the liver, and the shank running thru the middle of the liver helps also. I have casted pretty good distances with this setup, and you can usually get multiple bites before you need to rebait. I just started doing it this year, but wish i had known years ago.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I use plain thread. About 10" and wrap it on. I can toss it out there tied with thread. :wink:

4. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Some great ideas right there guys,thanks.

5. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I thread it on like a worm and I try to put on the fat, it's really tough when it's threaded on. Wanna keep the kids busy and excited...fish with liver!!

6. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
  7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just thread it on while wrappin it on the hook.:wink:

8. sfcbrown

sfcbrown New Member

State:
    KS,Enterprise
    Thread is the way to go just keep wrapping sewing thread around the bait and hook wrap it a few times around the shank of the hook and snap it off

9. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    i tried it a few times and i used some old panty hose. it stayed right there. had to cut it off.

10. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I haven't tried the elastic thread but I do cut the liver in small chunks and push the eye of a number 4 treble hook through the center.this works really well but dont forget to use a snap swivel.

11. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    I have tried about every way to keep liver on a hook,even the special liver hooks but 10-12 inches of thread works the best by far. Wrap that thread around the liver over n over every direction and cast is as far as you want to without it coming off.