How do you prevent line twist when drifting?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by beeheck, Jul 20, 2006.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Went out drifting this weekend and used a slip sinker set up with a ball bearing swivel, the kind where it has a split ring on each end, no snap. How I set up was in this order, slip knot tie, bead, bobber (knot) BB swivel (knot) sinker, split shot (to hold sinker away from hook) and then the hook. Used shad sides and we had line so twisted it wouldn't come off the reel without a million twists. What do I need to do to prevent this constantly rotating shad side from twisting my line up so bad?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

On main line add your weight then bead if wanted then barrel swivel then about 12-18 leader of your choice about halfway down add a small toothpick boober if desired then your hook.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

here's a pic without the bobber and with a bell sinker. I would stick with a egg, pencil shaped are flexible sinker.
    [​IMG]

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    A 3-way rig with a dropper to weight will stop the twist.:wink:

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
  6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    What Ken said! I used to use 3-way swivels, but now just tie a short dropper line for the sinker to either end of a 2-way swivel. Make sure the dropper is no more than 6 inches long. I also use a lighter line for the dropper, so in case it gets hung-up you can easily break it off without losing the rest of your rig. And if you'rr drifting with whole fish, cut the tails off to reduce the spin.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    To prevent line twist was one of the reasons that 4 to 6 bead chain swivels were so popular at one time.You had so many swivel points it was like having 4 to 6 swivels tied on in line.They are still available through Cabela's.Also a set of "upholstery,mortician or rigging needles" were and are still popular ways to help form or shape your bait to increase or decrease spin and roll.Also for better hookup.Your imagination is the limit.The upholstery needles can be found at most sewing or craft shops or sections of a store.The "mortician or rigging needles can be acquired through Bass Pro or "salt water" bait and tackle shops.If you attached one end of a 4 to 6 bead chain swivel on the end of your line and all of the rest of your rigging on the other end of the swivel,you had about as much swiveling action and line twist control as you can get.peewee-williams

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, your problem is likely the bait you're using. The shad filets are notorius for twisting/spinning, and may simply be spinning too much for the swivel to compensate. You may be able to cut the bait strips differently, or rig it on your hook differently. Try variations, and check them by pulling through the water where you can observe. The problem could also be in the swivels you are using. Even though it's a ball bearing type, all swivels are not created equal.

9. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i just use a basic carolina rig with a egg sinker,seems to work the best for me,i also think a good swivel is a must,and alot has to do with your drift speed,to fast and your bait wants to roll,and like tommy said the swivel can't compensate.

crome

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Keep everything that might twist *below* the swivel and you won't have any problems. You put a bobber, etc. above the swivel. That's where the twist came from.

Here's a couple photos of the drifting setup I use on Truman Lake. In these photos, the rig isn't tied to the main line, but it's obvious where I'd tie it on at.

The leader is about 24 inches long, with the bobber placed 6 to 12 inches above the hook. This keeps the hook up off the bottom, both to avoid snags and to put it where the blues can grab it.

The sinker setup is something I learned from a local guide and works great. It consists of 2 oz worth of 1/4 oz egg sinkers (8 total), tied with light line onto a snap swivel. To secure the sinkers to the light line, wrap the line 3 or 4 times through the last sinker then use a big pair of pliers to crimp the sinker so that it holds the line. If it gets snagged on the bottom, the line will break and all you lose is the lead.

If the photos are too hard to see, let me know and I'll upload larger images to my web site and post a link to them.

BTW - I use big hunks of shad, sometimes whole shad, and the cheapest swivels I can buy at Wally-World. Line twist is *never* a problem.

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    A note , make sure you use as big a swivel as you can get. Sure enough if you use a small one it will be when you get a monster cat on and snap that swivel.

12. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    My goodness what a bunch of great responses, thank you all! I think I'm going to try the flexible sinker idea with a drop off a 3-way swivel on lighter line. I can just see the sinkers in a line resisting the twist of the shad side and making the swivel do its job. I also like the idea of the chain that PeeWee had and am going to look for some of that and maybe make up some of each and then evaluate them both. And Blackwaterkatz, good thought on the "adjusting" my shad sides to reduce the spin where it starts. Again, thanks one and all you've been a big help, as usual. Thanks for the pictures of the setups you guys use they were great!