How do you prevent killing deep water fish

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by special liberty, Nov 26, 2006.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Yesterday we caught a 3-4 lbs blue in about 65 feet of water. On heavy tackle it didn't take long to bring him up. Once in the boat it was apparent something (air bladder?) was hanging out it's rectum. Once the fish was returned to the water it floundered on the surface unable to dive. I don't keep any fish and would just as soon not kill a future trophy. Is there anyway to prevent injuring the fish when fishing deep water. Chris Harris once told me he carries a length of PVC pipe to jam down their throats to "burp" them but he also mentioned their bladder would be sticking out their mouth not the other end? Any help would be appreciated.

2. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    We also caught a 22lber in the same depth of water, but took extra long getting him to the boat and he was fine. Should we be giving them decompression stops on their way up to the surface? Basically letting them equalize their air bladder as they come up from the depths.

3. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    The PVC works great. I haven't seen a fish like you described but suspect it would probably correct itself once the fish was purged.

Don't feel bad about keeping a fish that size though. If the Potomac is anything like the James, it needs to have some of the smaller fish taken out of it anyway.

/Scott

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    You will need to brup fish like that what a 1/2" pvc pipe slow;y run this down into the mouth and you will hear the air come on. Work the fish back into the water until it takes off on its own.