How do you prepare your bluegill (for fishing)

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Ravensmavsfan, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I caught about 20 sunnies and bluegill between 3 inches and 5 inches today. I want to know how you prepare you bluegill when fishing for channels and flats.

I ussually cover them in garlic, then let them sit in the sun on a hot afternoon in a airtight bag, for channels.

For flats i just cut the heads off and freeze them.

What do you do?

2. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For channels I would filet them and fish with filets and/or heads... or if big channels (or blues) in the area, I would butterfly them. Insert filet knife behind gills on each side and filet backwards, remove spine. You end up with head and filets still atached... but spineless. For flatheads I'd want them alive.

3. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I put the hook right behind the dorsal (top) fin, not to deep, and send him out to fish. Some will say in front of the dorsal, some will say through the nose. I agree with all those options. If you're talking cut bait, the head first, then the middle, depending on the size, tail section last. I use sections about 2-3in. square with the hook through both sides. Dead shad, I hook through the head or thread on the hook like you would a worm. Sometimes I'll put 2-3 dead shad on the same hook. If they are alive, right in the dorsal works for me.
    Don

4. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey rsimms what are the advantages of butterflying your cut bait?

5. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great question... two advantages I see. First, I think it's very important to remove the spine and dorsal fin, especially on bluegill. Normally a catfish is going to have to worry about taking a bait head-first, or at least turning it in it's mouth to swallow. They will not swallow a bluegill against the spiny dorsal fin. With the spine and dorsal fin removed, the fish doesn't have to do that (unless they do it out of instinct anyway?).

I also think the "butterfly" does give the bait a little more "flash" or "flutter" action. I do a lot of drift fishing in river current and typically I'm jigging up and down real slowly to insure I'm maintaining contact with bottom going into holes and over humps. I can't help but think that "butterfly" look as bait moves up and down makes it look somewhat more enticing.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think I like the way this sounds I will have to try this.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i will also have to try butterflying

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    For flats I just hook em through the back or cut em up. On our last night out, my buddies and I took whole ones and hooked em through the back and cut the stomachs open.

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Good Tip, Thanks Rsimms.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would catch them the day I go fishing, and keep them on ice if not using them alive, I also would not add anything to them, or leave them in the sun..I would want them as natural as possible.

11. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    in still water i cut them and use the front 1/2 of the fish i cut diagnalie from the back of the head to the anle finso the guts are still in the head porton and hook the peace trew the spine or cartlige what ever you want to call it for mooving water i make 6 shallow cuts allong the sides of the bait then i hook it behind the dorsal fin i like this place i think it makes the bait fight harder than it would when hooked trew the nose just my opion