How do you Prepare forCold Water Fishing

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by fishnvince, Oct 25, 2008.

1. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Well Guys and gals its that time of year again. The leaves are in full color and the nights are getting cold for some of us. With that comes the call to the water for some of the seasons best Catfishing, especially those of us who have Blue Cat waters. Exciting as this time of year can be, it is also a dangerous time to be on the water. With falling water temps the thought of going overboard under cold water conditions scares me. Don't know about the rest of ya but this time of year especially, I always wear my life vest and and I am always hooked up to my kill switch when running. I know some of us also fish alone at times. If possible Buddy up in cold water conditions, so if you go in you got someone to get you out quick. Aslo I like to carry a Hand held Gps just incase I get into trouble and Im stuck on a bank somewhere. Keep your phone and gps in a water tight pouch so it wont get wet and you can call for help. Finally be prepared check and recheck your gear. Let family members know where you will be fishing and when you are expected to be home. Be safe and get back to fish another day. Just a few things I do to prepare

2. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    I carry an extra set of clothes. Speared a wave one cold, windy winter morning, and sure was glad I had them.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    All sounds like great ideas to me. Remember to wear your clothes loose and in layers so that you can adjust to changing temperatures also.