How do you pick fishing depth?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by HookLineSinker, Oct 27, 2007.

1. HookLineSinker

HookLineSinker New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Covering the widest range possible has been my approach by fishing drop offs. How do you pick a fishing depth and what's it based on?

2. kampfire

kampfire New Member

State:
    Virginia
    On the channel edges, and fan 'em out to cover deep to shallow. If the 20' channel isn't working I go to a 30' section, and so forth.

Mitchell in VA

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm thinking about finally breaking down and purchasing a fish finder. They aren't that big of an investment anymore, and some of the cheaper models have some great features for the price!

Let us know what works for you!

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Time of day and tide direction are what plays the largest part in my decisions. Also rememberin conditions that exhisted when ya had that banner day. Memory of all that goes on really comes into play.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Banner Day hmmmmn banner day I know I had one around here somewhere,I must have had a banner day becasue Big George says I am supposed to remember them,probably made a mental note about it and forgot to bring it again.Maybe Banner Day has some other meaning,guess I better get the old THESAURUS out and see if there is another meaning or words.Lets see here, YEP right here BANNER DAY,alternate meanings "Luckier than crap" " cant miss" "fish are biting anything today, even you can catch one" "Never seen anything like it,fish have gone crazy" or my personal favorite "Even a blind fisherman using an acorn could catch a pig today" hahahahaha or "There was a 20 pounder caught on the anchor when I pulled it up":big_smile::crazy::smile2:"Fisherman bitten by hungry fish while selecting lure from tackle box":wink:In my humble experience those banner days are best forgotton because they represent a HUGE anomaly in the normal fishing experience for most of us.Unbelieveably some folks have never had a banner day and they are lucky because they have achieved that much more important aspect of ,consistancy.If you are consistant then you can be like most fishermen and not catch much of anything, or the next NASCAR NEXTEL CUP champion!!!!!:smile2::big_smile::crazy::eek:oooh:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    So Jim. Now that you're done make sure ya wipe yourself.:wink: What does determine where ya fish other than someone else takein ya there?:smile2: You must be flat out exhausted after spellin THESAURUS.:big_smile: