Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

How do you pass time in the off season ?

2K views 31 replies 32 participants last post by  catman529 
#1 ·
I am obsessive compulsive abut keeping my gear clean and looking nice. Things like cleaning my reels, rods, and utility boxes organized and clean are half the fun of fishing for me, especially now that cold weather is here. Its just something to keep me busy. I already made 500 leaders, fixed and cleaned all my rod, and reels, sharpened all my hooks, and am in the process of designing a 1000 gallon bait tank. I find it much easier to a lot of scouting now that trees and under brush is thinning out. I also have about 363 fishing pic's from this summer to organize, but there is still 5 months until the cats become active again around here. There is a warm water dicharge nere me but the fishing there is not real good but it dose help to keep my fever down. I was hoping people can share what they do to pass the time so we all can stay busy doing things that we maybe never would have thought of.

#5 ·
Cattin is pretty much over up here till spring. In about two weeks ill start checking out all my ice fishing gear. Our ice fishing season usually starts in late December, and lasts through March.

#11 ·
Hey Brother I did not know there was a off Season???Here in Oklahoma the catfish eat all year long and us OKIE'S catfish all year long,(THANK GOD)..To bad to here Yall got's season's there in Pa,Yall come on down here to OkLAHOMA and we will Hook em up.......Okie catfishpat........

#14 ·
i dont know what im going to do lol since this is my first real year getting back into fishing i really never had to think about it lol. i think im going to try and find some holes where the fish are hiding and see if i can get anything. ill prolly do some scouting for some new spots. read lots of catfishing books trying to learn everything there is about them. ill have school work to do. and movies. oh yeah and the BOC haha!

#15 ·
K/F Killer,

keep fishing.... go somewhere else. bait up the warm water discharge, but keep fishling.... sounds like your doing all the important stuff..... work on the photos.....I have a computer in the RV and arrange pics when I am not fishing or doing camp site stuff..

Happy Holidays

Bayrunner ray

#20 ·
as others have suggested...i don't have an off season. The colder weather presents more fishin opportunities for me.

I do not fish exclusively to catch, i fish to "be there", to enjoy God's creation without so many freakin other people screwin it up...lol The colder months are the months to enjoy the solitude of nature and the experience of the chase.

EDIT: i should prolly post some cold weather pic, or at least change my icon to a cold weather pic for the season

cyas
rc

#22 ·
which off season let's see nascar season over = more time to fish
nba = who cares more times to fish

about the only offseason here is heavy down pours with lightning and colts playing so no real offseason

but off days reorganize gear and prepare for next fishing outing

#23 ·
There is not an off season out my way in Cali. There a time for channels, flats, and blues in Cali. And basically they can be caught year round with the exception of flatheads during the winter when their bite takes a dive. If I am targeting certain species of cats that tends to be down at a certain time of year than I go for for the other cat ( channels, blues, or flats.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.