How do you make your own "chum" for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Rajun_Cajun, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    i ahve never experienced the smell of chumming or anything... lol but i heard it really works and brings those flatheads in. but ya how do you make it?

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I get a buddy or two that have been up 1/2 the night drinking and take them for a early morning boat ride. After we make a trip Way up river going 90 to nothing and there looking pale in the face I stop and have them open the shad tank. LOL free chum :0a30:

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    A guy at work told me to get a five gallon bucket and put it way outside and stat putting everything in it. Outside in the summer in the hot sun but keep a lid on it. Then take it to the lake or river hold it over the side and punch holes init and let it drop at the end of a rope.

4. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I personally haven't heard of anyone chumming for flatheads with much success. I would think if you were to do it I would just throw out a bunch of fresh and bloody cut up fish. Flatheads seem to like fresh bait more than anything. I have heard of people using grain type feed for animals and putting it out in a 5 gallon bucket. I think they then add water and a couple of beers to it if I remember correctly and letting it ferment in the sun. I think this works very well for channels. I'm sure if you look in the BOC library you will be able to find a lot of information on chum and peoples recipes.

5. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I chummed until I found out it wasn't legal in Minnesota. To be honest with you, I don't think it really helped although it left enough of a chum slick in the water that I could see it on my fish locator from the back of the boat. The chum technique I used was to blend up and freeze a mixture of beef blood, flathead minnows and fish flavored cat food. I froze it up in those 32 oz soft drink containers you get at the local convenience store. I would put the frozen chunk in a chum pot I bought on-line and hang it off the front of the boat. I bought the beef blood from a local meat dealer and I would put about a cup of blood, a cup of fatheads and a couple of cans of cat food and some water in the blender and blend it into a good looking catfish smoothy. **My Bride gave me the blender the first time she saw what I was doing.:p She wanted no more margaritas out of that blender. I froze the catfish smoothies up in the freezer and then would take them fishing iced down in a cooler. Each one would last about 20 minutes or so before I had to put another one in the chum pot. I only did it a couple of times and then I found out it is not legal in Minnesota so I stopped. Anybody want a chum blender??

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    For flats I thought of course grinding fresh shad then putting the mix in a mesh bag or two or three then planting them on bottom at the head of a hole. Then casting live baits out down river of the chum to see if it would call any up but I haven't tried it yet.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You guys have to keep in mind that flatheads are ambush preditors not scavengers like a blue or a channel. So chumming won't do you much good in this endevor. They will only go searching for food in early spring or late fall, and even then the will be looking for fresh killed fish or live baits. So you can imagine what you need to do to catch them, and it ain't chumming, LOL!!!

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Dread, my thought was to combine the two, fresh ground shad to get them swimming my way, with live baits between them and the chum. You know gettem in a feeding mood then put a meal in their path.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if you get the bait fish schooled up the flats mite just jump in and feed onum? just a thought though. so maybe a big chunk of minnow trap bait in a basket mite work.

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    We'll take a bunch of cut up trout carcasses that we've freshly cleaned...put them into a gunny sack...and attach it to the anchor. It draws both blues and flathead. Any type of FRESH cutbait will work...but shad and trout are similar in that they are both an oily fish...and put off a slick which will draw cats from a long ways in a river.

I've found that this works best at night when the flats and blues are on the prowl looking for trouble. During the day they tend to "hole" up and simply wait for something to swim by so's they can ambush it.

11. BigFlatty

BigFlatty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    is that i have chummed a hole for channels before and it does have success, but it takes time and after a while of hitting the same spot there seems to be more of em in the hole. Now flathead are predatorial so i don't think it would draw them in, and i never seem to do as well when there are channels round. I either fish for channels and blues, or flats not both.

12. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have never chummed for flatheads.. and haven't had any luck with cut baits either. For flatheads its live bait that works the best for me.