How do you make blood bait? Any recipes?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by spoonfish, Jun 14, 2007.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I hear a lot about people useing congelled blood bait for drifting. I have a renter that works for a chicken prossesing plant and may be able to get some. I see it can also be ordered on line in turkey also. I was wondering what recipe you use to get it to the congelled consistancy that will stay on a hook for drifting and how you fish with it. Have heard of useing brown sugar but dont know the details on it.
    Thanks for any info!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Troy, it is a pretty simple process. Blood, by itself, wether it be chicken or beef, will congeal. Here is how I process beef blood. Once you have a glob, for lack of a better word, use something like the back side of a hack saw blade to cut it into sections about 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick. Once you have a section, cut it into strips about 1 1/4" wide, then cut that strip into pieces about 1 1/2" to 2" in length. Place the cubes on a piece of a cardboard box, leave clearance on each side, and coat liberally with dark brown sugar. Continue cutting sections off the congealed blood until you have processed all the blood. Put it in the sun to cure...AND WATCH IT CLOSELY. You want the sides to be somewhat hard, but not to the point it shatters when you put a hook into the cube. Experience is your best guide in this process. A friend has told me once you have them coated with brown sugar you can freeze all the cubes. After they have frozen, thaw them out and then re-freeze them. He states the freezing/thawing will cure them to the point they will stay on a hook for a "soft" cast. I use mine on jugs which don't have the recoil of a casting rod, so they stay on the hook. Oh, yes, once you have cured them in the sun to a point your satisfied with them, package them in something like butter containers until you go fishing. The one side which was left face down on the cardboard will seep blood, attracting the cats.

If you will scrowl down in the library, you will find posts on how various baits are made. Here is a link...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Or, you can make the pieces larger, then use a piece of wire like a needle to thread line through the center; slide the gob down onto a treble hook. Tie a short piece of heavy mono to the treble hook, then make a loop in the other end of the mono. The heavy mono has a large enough diameter that it doesn't cut through the blood as easily. Don't have to 'cure' the blood nearly so much, so it bleeds faster; but also has to be replaced more often. OK for rod & reel fishing, but the cured blood is better for jugs.