How do you make a doughbait tough?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Shinchan, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Aloha! I've been using a doughbait that just uses flour and canned sardines( the kind with the tomato sauce.) It works great but it comes off too quickly. How do I "toughen" it up? I heard of rolling it into balls and boiling it but that seems to make it less oily and not as attractive. I tried to get the moisture out by leaving it in the sun but its gets crusty. What should I add to the mix? Eggs? Thanks for any info-Shinchan

2. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Well Shinchan I would tell you to use cattails fuzz but I dought you have them where you are.So I guess the next best thing to use would be YES dryer lint.But make sure you don't use the fabric sheets in the dryer cause they will shy away from it.Just add a little at a time to get it where you want it according to stiffness.
    Loop

3. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I would try using eggs and making it like noodles. I have never tried this because I prefer soft baits but it should make it tougher the more you knead the flour into it.

I would also try using Wheaties instead of flour.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If the dryer lint doesn't work for you, you can try cutting up some cotton balls into 1/2" pieces, then pulling the pieces apart before working them into the doughbait.
    Another option is to get some loofa and cut it into bait-sized pieces, then work the doughbait into the loofa. Loofa is called the 'vegetable sponge', and should do an excellent job of holding your bait. When I've used it, I've had to remove the loofa and throw it away when through fishing for the day, because I couldn't wash the bait out of it. I get my loofa in the beauty section of Wal-Mart. You'll find all kinds of backscrubbers and such made with loofa, but you want to look for a piece of loofa all by itself; that's a bit harder to find, but a well-stocked store should have it.

5. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Thanks for all the info, I'll give it a try tomorrow!

6. PGPugsley

PGPugsley New Member

I like to use the cattails loop mentioned and also instant potatoe flakes. Try keeping the bait cold and on ice while fishing too. It helps for me :cool:
    Pugsley