How Do You Locate Carp...

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by jdw123, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    without a fishfinder? are they usually in shallow or deep water? do they usually stay near the bottom or are they suspended? my lake is overrun with them, but i cant sem to catch them. i'm using a hair rig baited with sweet corn.

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Shallow at night and in the morning, deeper in the middle of the day during summer. This time of year thye should be near mouths of creeks and preparing to spawn. Look for signs of carp crashing and moving around. They will feed mainly on bottom, if the carp are suspended it will be hard to catch them. Like other fish they hold to cover and huge ones will almost always be near or find a snag. Sudden changes in depth are also good places to start.

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Get a cheap bow and and an ames bow fishing set up for the bow. Sneak around the bank and laydowns and shoot them:smile2:. This is more fun than catching them on rod and real. Give it a try and you will get hooked.

TOm

4. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    I often see bubbles on the top of the water in several places. are these carp that are doing this? i know its some kind of fish thats doing it because its everywhere. would this be a good place to fish?

5. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Odds are it is carp. In the shallows they will bubble and stir up som mud. Other fish do it as well but often it is carp, as long as the bubbles are moving and not staying in one place. If the bubbles stay in one place and constant for amounts of time then it is most likely not fish at all, maybe turtle and sometimes things like vegetation bubble. I am not sur eif the thrill would be the same with a bow. I know an ex bow fisher now rod and reel cpr fisher that loves the challenge of the carp on r&r, I guess they fight different without an arrow through them and they can catch them again. To each his own I guess.

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Dont knock the bow until you try it.

Tom

7. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    Mo
    I would think a stick of dynamite is as sporting as a bow :angry:

8. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    look for fish breaking the surface rolling and crashing normally at first light they are not normally the shyest of fish.

9. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    The carp should be in the shallow areas right now. Like Mcwrestlrer said, Look for carp crashing on the surface. They should be spawning in your area right now. Water temp must also be high in order for them to be active and spawn.

10. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Some good replies but I will note that I have had excellent luck while in Ohio years ago with ice starting to form around the lake :wink:

Are you fishing in a lake or river?

You may want to try some kind of doughbait.I catch 10x more carp on prepared baits versus corn.I would bet that a peanut butter/vanilla/white bread doughball would work wonders on a hair-rig.I have been meaning to try it but still havent.

In the past 3 days I have used 3 dough balls as big as a mans fist roughly 1 loaf of bread.They bite it before it even hits bottom on some occasions

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Seems like all the carp that I caught is usually in shallow water and they usually hang together in groups you can get dough balls, and catch them good.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    actually you have to aim more with a bow than dynamite :smile2:. i find all my carp around cattails and catch them with doughballs. when i have enough cutbait i catch and release. i know i can not thin out a pond just by rod and reel, and when the freezer's full i have a blast catching and releasing carp on light tackle!

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive caught a few carp and buffalo on the arkansas river useing bread but ive never caught any out of my home lake.we have a good population and i would like to see this thread carry on with info on how,where,and how to make baits to catch them with.pictures of the different rigs and methods would help a lot.

14. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Johnny when I was fishing lakes in NC we used to make a bait that worked awesomely but I have tried it back here in the river and nothing.

Get you a big ole mixing bowl add in some flour(doesnt matter I think we used all purpose),then a equal amount of cornmeal a teaspoon or 2 of ground cinnamon.
    Heres an optional part sprinkle a few drops of aqua velva in.
    You can subsitute the Aqua Velva for Vanilla, or Anise oil and we even used Skoal wintergreen a few times.
    Start adding water a little at a time while kneading the mixture real good.Mix until it gets a good texture and isnt too awfuly gooey I prefer playdough consistency.

To fish this just put a gob on your hook and if its not staying on very long you can put a cornpop or marshmellows or even a few kernels of corn on the hook first.

What happens is when this starts to dissolve it will spread out from your hook leaving a scent/food trail in the surrounding water.

Also do not leave this stuff in a car it WILL swell up very big but can still be fished with kinda like the never ending doughball until it turns just plain old sour.

15. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    You know shoting carp with a bow is a good challange. Stick of dynamite just light and throw. Big Carp if you ever come across the pond and get around The Kansas City Missouri area get ahold of me via PM and I will take you bow fishing and watch you get hooked. All is good here just saying a fun and challanging way to get carp.

Tom

16. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    actually its very difficult and exciting, true there is no release, but there are certain carp species that you dont want released anyway

17. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For one good recipe that led to the majority of my fish yesterday look a the grits threas and feel free to bumo it up. The recipe I posted is solid. Next time I head out I will take some pictures of rigs and setups.

18. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    look for the carp also at backwater and creek mouth with alot of mud or cattails helps for me. look for the to be wallowing on the surface as well