How do you like to spool your braid?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JHalden, May 30, 2009.

How do you spool up your braid?

1. No Backing (Directly to reel, tape etc.)

2. Backing

3. Other?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey everyone, I bought a spool of Suffix Performance Braid today and I really like the feel of it compared to Power Pro, it doesn't have that waxy coating. In reading some of the posts on here I've learned that some of you like braid on spinning reels (I've had problems with low-# braid so I only use it on baitcasters). I'm going to throw this 50lb on my 3500b but I would like to see how you guys like to do it first... I generally like to use a mono backing, I just use enough mono until I can't see the spool base on my reel, then i attach my braid to that. I know some people who like to do half of their reel as mono backing and then finish it off with the braid. They do this to extend the use out of one package of braid. I am curious as to how everyone else does it!

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i use mono backing.now i noticed you said you had problems with lower lb test braid what problems? if it was wind knots you can eliminate them by switching to suffix and not over filling the reel. you said you were spooling 50lb on a 3500b i am guessing thats a baitrunner 3500b if thats the case then i guess its for the line diameter and not the breaking strengthbecause i was suggest thats overkill for that reel. i have 10lb on mine and i just switched from 20lb. just my opinion.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If you don't use a backing. I always run mine off the spool while on the water. Then Reel it back on wet. This keeps it from spinning on the spool. As if you fill the spool with it, It can and will turn on the spool leaving you to think your reel is slipping.
    pete

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I put on about 75 yards of 50# Big game mono.A lot of times I,ve spooled the braid with no backing and never had a problem as long as I spooled it on super tight.I treid some braid for steelheading this year 10#test-2# diameter,I did have a problem with that slipping.I use 20,30,or 40# braid on all my wifes spinning reels that she uses for river fishing,never had a problem with one of them either.IMO,If the lines 20 or better AND you spool it TIGHT enough,there won,t be a problem.The only reason I use some mono backing now is because I,m just a cheap bastard.:cool2:

5. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    The problems I had were like wind knots or knots on the reel I cant remember. But it was with 10lb braid... I like to use 50lb braid or bigger because otherwise it digs itself into my reel (at least when I am drift fishing it does).

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    justin,
    if you still have the 10lb test don't give up on it yet. try filling the reel under a lot of tension(i use a 10lb weight on a phonebook) that way once the reel is filled the line should be firm now when you drift fish which i'm guessing is like freelining the only loose line is whatever line you let out or casted and it won't bury itself that badly.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I put some electrical tape on the spool first wind the braid about 5-6 times then another strip of tape, havent had any problems yet. Hope this helps.

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i voted all braid this is just half true for me on my Abu's its all braid spooled very tight it wont slip if you put it on tight to begin with
    on my Peens its half mono half braid a 209 penn will holed 300 yards of mono and even more braid so yes i am a cheap Basterd also lol :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2:

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont use braid, I only use mono.

10. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I like to use dacron backing. I tie it then use a full wrap of electrical tape, then put the dacron on until I cannot see the tape. Modified albright knot, to main line. I use short, 3 to 10 fluorocarbon leaders. PUT THE LINE ON WITH A LOT OF TENSION!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with MRMARKEDWARDS, that is very heavy line for that small reel.

11. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    It's the biggest reel I got. I'm used to putting 50 or 60 lb braid on my abu garcia revo-sx so I think the 3500 can handle it. At least I hope! :roll_eyes:

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i never put anything on, until i read this, so i coverd the soopl in tape dont see how that helps, becouse the tap is as slikk as the spool , dont get it

13. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I put maybe 1" of tape over the first wrap or two of line on the spool. It gives a sticky base. It's really under quite a bit of compression. Like wrapping a string around your finger. There's generally a knot somewhere though because those 150 yard spools won't fill most of my reels up.

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I am filling the complete spool with PP Braid! I use the Electrical tape to secure the knot once I have cinched it to the spool! The tape is brought completely around the spool on top of the line to adheare the line with the cinch knot. Once you load the spool with the rest of the line, there is NO Slippage. This has worked for me the past 11 years and I have used different braids with the same results. JMHO!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I soak all my line in warm water before I spool it...mono and braid. I never use a backing on my Abu's, never needed it but on spinning reels I've always head to. My backing is that white surgical tape. I prefer not to tie off to mono. If I get spooled out, its gonna bust at the reel, not at a not where the mono is.

Also with braid, IMO, anything under 50# is junk. It digs worse and it don't take much for it to snap. All my reels get 65# P-Pro.

-Jim-

16. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    With the newer 'whiffle' spools, you can tie the braid directly to one of the holes on the spool spindle, which will prevent any slippage.

Most people use a mono backing because it costs a lot to fill a big reel with braid. It also prevents slippage.

Mono also acts as a shock absorber. Older spools made from plastic or other composites will crack or shatter under the extreme load of a heavy braid that is wound on without any mono.

And like the others said, wind on the braid as tightly as you can. This will require gloves or the phone book trick mentioned previously.

Tight lines

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    That is the truth. Ive had 30 and 40 lb. power pro break on me. 50# or better for me. :big_smile:

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I just noticed something from the pole where it says " tape it to the spool "......

I'm not sure if all folks realize that you don't need to tape the line on itself. I put tape on the spool first then tie on the line as normal. The line is able to sink into the tape and that's how it holds...It's not necessary to put tape around the line itself unless you just like to. This is why I use the rough,fiber surgical tape vs. a smooth tape.

If ya'll already knew that....ingnore this then, LOL.

-Jim-

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol i gues i did it wrong i put e tap tightly agast the spool and spooled up lol, oops, hope it dont slip im not taking it off,

20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I put 1 wrap of black electrical tape on the reel spool, then used an arbor knot, I loaded the spool under tension. I ran the line thru a phone book. I was wondering if it was neccessary and couldn't even spool up with finger tension on the line. The tape stopped the slipping. After the backing I put a mono topshot on, hoping the knot holds.