how do you land your flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jan 10, 2010.

how do you bring your flatheads in

1. hores em in with a tight drag

2. play em out with looser drag

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hores em in thith very little drag, or play them out till they give up

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Fast and hard as I can,don,t want to give em a chance to get in a snag.If I didn,t fish around so many snags,I wouldn,t worry about horsing them so much.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i tend to horse em in unless their at a no snag section,bu i still horse em in lol

4. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i horse em in where ever im at

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    its kind of a tough question to be honest. if i think they are going to get snagged up ill tighten the drag up or put my thumb down to get them out. however, if i can help it i try not to horse anything in unless it is a dink. if i hook into a biggin i wont horse him as much. under 15 lbs or so, i can tell the difference in my rod and the feel of the fish i will horse him a bit more. but if it feels like a big fish i will let the drag do its job. i try to set it so if a 15 lber can take drag on a hard run then im generally where i want to be.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know what your saying, you dont want your line to snap, i run 50 pound test with a tight drag, if my poll is just bending i want a little slipping

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dependent upon conditions, but I have a tendency to horse them in. Mabye I'm wrong , but the quicker I get him in the less stress on him (and me) and the quicker I can get him back in the water. Stay safe and aspire to inspire!!!:wink:

8. oklakugels

oklakugels New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Slow and Low, That is my tempo.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im running 50lb mono and this year i will be returning to the 80-100lb PP depending where and how much i find it for.

bedbug, your probably right, but i try to take into account their size best i can. i know it is hard to judge, but when fighting a big fish i will take more precautions vs a small one. it doesn't take long to get a 20 lber in, a 50 lber is another story.

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I horse em it because all the ones i catch are dead and dont fight much..Ther weird fish i say there skip jakc..But they look cut up..

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    WELL THE POLL IS SAYING PLAY EM BUT THE THREADS WE ALL SAY HORSE EM IN , SO WE WILL SE IN A FEW DAYS HOW WE SHOULD DO IT, THANKS BROTHERS

12. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I keep pretty stiff constant pressure on the fish, but do have my drag set so that a substantial fish my make a run or two before I get them in.

13. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Keep a tight line and allow alittle drag, try to get them in as fast as possible. pull and reel, and very little slack except to reel

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    MAN THE POLL IS CLOSE , MAN THIS MIGHT BE A TIE BY TOMAROW NIGHT

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I woted to horse'm, but, that doesn't necessarily mean just haulin' their a$$ in,, I usually play it different with each fish.. but, don't give'm much slack, or headway...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    SO FAR ALL THE COMMENTS ARE THE HORSERS, BUT THE POLL IS IN FAVORE OF PLAYING EM, OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOL, KEEP EM COMING BROTHERS, BY TOMAROW THE VOTE WILL BE SETTELD

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

No playing around for me! I've had many heartaches with fish running me into snags.

Horse em! Show them who's the boss and who's in control.

18. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I horse them some, but when the big sow wants to run you better let her (a little ways at least), depends on snag potential for me.

19. kycatfish

kycatfish Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I usually horse mine in also if i know that there is structure where they could get snagged. But if i am just in open water I like to have alittle fun. Why not you only live once and maybe you will only catch that big one once so you might as well have alittle fun while you do it.

20. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I horse them in .Dont want to leave slack line I ve lost big cats by that