How do you kill the darn things - How to prepare catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rednecksportsman511, Jan 15, 2006.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Whenever I bring a catfish home to fillet him, I can't seem to kill the things. Ive tried poppin 'em in the head with a hammer, that didn't work. Last time it was still breathing when we cut into it. They've been out of the water fer at least ten minutes before we cut 'em up. What's the easiest way to kill 'em?? :confused:

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    There is no easy way.

3. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Usually after a long day of Cattin I'm worn out, so I'll put my catch on Ice until the next day. They're dead by then.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use a hammer also, works just fine for me but make sure you leave 'em be for about 10 miutes after you beat thier brains out. their nervous system is still working and they tend to move a lot.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Rednecksportsman, I prefer to clean mine while they are alive. I know this sounds inhumane and difficult to do, but if you clean them while their heart is still beating it lets the blood pump out of the meat and makes for whiter filets. It also ensures that your fish are fresh. Just my two cents worth. Vern

6. birdnest

birdnest New Member

I was reading this post, hoping to find a good answer. Last couple times, my experience has been similar. I have been told nailing them to a heavy board with a big nail through the head will hold them in place while skinning them and also help kill 'em. I haven't tried it yet. I got the board, but since it got cold, I haven't had much luck catching any. I'm mostly bank fishing so getting out after the big winter flatheads can be a challenge. Last time I brought in and filleted a few, I'm pretty sure that one sucker was still kicken when I tossed his skinless carcass back into the lake for the turtles. At least one of seemed to try to swim away. It kinda seemed a bit freaky. I'm hoping it was just my imagination.
    Anyway, I guess I'll just check later and hope for a clear cut answer (all puns intended).
    Tightlines,
    Birdnest

7. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

My sentiments exactly

Ray

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Hold them down and cut off the tail or a deep slice on each side of the tail will bleed out most any fish. then clean them. Now that's fresh.

9. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    thanks yall, sounds like some good info. i went out this afternoon, but didn't cach any. a couple bites, second bite took the bait. :mad:

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    youve got to hit them in the right spot on the head. there is a little indention on the back part of the head right where the spine starts. a couple well placed whacks there and they are goners. as for cleaning them alive, i just cant do that. i can remember as a kid seeing where someone had cleaned some live and threw them in the water near a boat ramp. it was one of the most disturbing things i have ever seen. that image haunted me for a long time. they say fish dont feel pain like we do but i still dont want to do it.you never know. i sure wouldnt want to go out like that. i have to be humane about it.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I go to Kroger's & buy them. They are already dead...... & filleted! :) Saves me from doing the work. As much $ as I have invested in tackle & time I can't bring myself to keeping ANY cats. But thats just me.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are gonna keep your catch, our favorite sport fish deserves a humane end..Personally I will never ever kill any catfish.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i couldnt clean a fish alive either. heck i even give my cut bait a stab in the head before i cut them up!

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    cant stand to kill a catfish. It just makes me mad when they swallow the hook and i know they will die.

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    SWALLOWED HOOKS.... The Answer: Gama 8/0 Octopus Circles

16. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah Bryan i have started using circle hooks except for on my baitrunner

17. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Their is a couple of different ways to prepare to fillet your fish. The easiest way is to put them in a ice chest as you catch them. They just go to sleep, very humane. I perfer another way and thats to find the vertical soft spot in the center of their head. Take your knife and stick it in. This goes directly to their brain and will kill them quick and painless. Then cut their tails off and let them bleed out. This makes a huge difference in the tatse of your fish and easier to fillet without all that blood.

18. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yelp, that's the way I do it. Good thing, they die when you clean them.

19. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Try hanging them by thier tail and slide your knife up their gill slit. Cut thier gills and they bleed out pretty quick.
    As far as killing them, that will take care of it in a hot minute.
    Rat

20. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I clean mine while they are alive or died while on ice. Hearing some of these catfisherman talk about not being able to kill a catfish to eat...You guys attending peta meetings?....LOL