How do you kill a catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pacman, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Call me a softy, but it bothers me trying to fillet a catfish that is still kicking. I've been a panfisherman most of my life. They are stiff as a board by the time they get to the cleaning table. But catfish seem almost indestructible sometimes! I have no sympathies with PETA but it does seem cruel to cut up a fish that may still feel the knife. Is there a way to quickly kill a cat destined for the frying pan?
    :confused2:

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    How do you kill a catfish?

Show them a picture of DH :smile2::wink:

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Stick a knife blade deep in its fore head and move it back and forth that should do the trick.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    fish billy club or a hammer works for me.
    gary

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a nasty thing with fins so I use a tire buddy in thy ole noggen and then I know thy lights are out and we can get to the vittles:wink:

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You're no softy.

A chunk of 3/4" pipe lives on my fish table.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep, crack between the eyes will calm them right down! :wink:

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Mother nature is cruel so am I. I just start skinning them if they flop oh well. Although 99.9999% I let them go no matter what size they are. It's been a couple years since I kept a fish other then carp and shad for bait.

9. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Yea, i dont like cutting them up alive either, its cruel IMO.
    A friend of mine puts them on ice in a cooler, and that kills them pretty quick.

Me, i dont like to wait, so i give them a few good smacks in the noggin with the back of my masheti. Any movement after that is just nerves..

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've seen on this site a lot of different ways but if cleaning them live is a problem try cutting their gills while they are in the live well. They say it will bleed them out and make the meat whiter and better tasting.

11. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    mine go in the ice chest and they are dead or dying by the time we get to the knife, but i used to keep my fish alive til we cleaned them and what we did was similar to the first answer u got .. u can take a knife and probe between the eyes until u find the little crack in the skull.. make a cut there and then insert a stiff wire thats bent at a 90 degree angle on the end.. after u get it in, you stir up the fishes brain with it.. when u hit the right spot he will straighten out and quiver.. we had our wire mounted in a wooden handle with a loop in the handle to keep it handy at the cleaning table.. the other thing we did was after killing the fish , which we always had hanging up for cleaning ,was to cut off the tail and let it bleed.. this cuts down on the bad tasting red meat.. which is mostly coagulated blood ..

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I always cut off the tail or cut the gills on one side to let them bleed out. Makes for a better tasting fillet. If you stop the heart (brain dead) before you bleed them, than bleeding them isn't very effective with out the pump (heart) working. Just the way I do it when I am going to be eating them. I keep a large pair of meat scissors for cutting off the tails. Much safer than a sharp knife at the business end of a flopping fish.

Thanks
    David

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    all my blues and channels that i keep go in the ice chest when i leave the lake or river.any flathead that i keep i keep alive till i get ready to clean them.i hang them and cut their tails off drink a cup of coffee and go to skining.

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I started cutting the tails after learning it from this site...I still get a little creeped out sometimes when the body twitches and spasms while Im cleaning it:eek:oooh::roll_eyes:!

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  16. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I've always knocked them on the head. I might try cutting the tails off though. They do bleed out quick that way.

17. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I cutt tails off and bleed em out on a stringer. blood attracts more fish..

18. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I don't clean anything bigger than about 4 lbs- I got a little claw hammer in the boat which I use to crack them between the eyes. then I use my 12volt elect knife to filet them. I always dump trash stuff right back in the lake. Bag the meat in saved grocery bags and head for the boat ramp. When we get home I wash the filets in salt water remove all red or yellow meat and freeze the rest. we also don't keep a freezer full of fish, usually have 3 or 4 bags, enough for 4 to 6 people.

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i heard if ya hit with a hammer or blunt object, you can rupture the mudvein which makes em taste bad. i think bleeding them or the icepick to the forehead is gonna be your best bet.

20. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i usually just drive a nail thru there head and let em wiggle i think it helps why skinnin em. as far as killin em i've cut out a cats heart and it beat still for a few minutes outta the body.