How do you keep track of the line installed?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by oahegw, Nov 8, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I've got at least a dozen rod and reels that I use for various fishing. In the past I've used a small glue-on label that gives the line info and date installed. This being stuck to the reel in a choice spot where it won't easily get rubbed off.

Do you have a better method to keep track of this info?

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    the rods/reels i use the most get changed out every year , the others i guess i just chance it when i use them but i really think mono lasts awhile so i dont worry much about it other than a quick check to see any abrasions ,knicks to the line

3. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Thanks Frank, but how do you remember what test weight and/or what brand you are using? Right now I'm using some spider wire, power pro and some sten. I darn well don't trust my old memory anymore.

4. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I just know what test I have on my reels because I don't use more than a couple different lines. I will have to admit that I don't change out my line very often.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    my line gets changed in the winter each year so its not to hard for me to keep up with

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Gary Good Question Sir. I have way too many rods and reels according to the Wife (Big Bula Mae) some thing like 75 or so I lost count :wink:. and this is how I do it.I went to Office Max and bought some blank white mailing labels they are approximately 1"X2 5/8" long self adhesive. I wrght the line test, brand nane,and the DATE INSTALLED,AND THEN STICK IT ON THE REEL SEAT AND PLACE THE REEL BACK ON THE ROD. AND THEN i CAN JUST REMOVE THE REEL AND TAkE A PEEK to refresh the old memory AND i'M GOOD TO GO.I hope this helps. Tight lines Brother and God Bless.J.D.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I only use Berkley Big Game 30lb test. So,it's really easy to keep up.

8. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I use color coded electrical tape on the rod handle.Orange for 30# Blue for 20 ect,

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    personally i try to stick to one brand for each type of line.... my mono on my cat rods is BBG, my Braid is Power Pro 80 on my muskie rods, my bass rods 20lb Pline ect. ect. my set ups are different there for my line is different, however i just keep with one type of line. in saying that i change all my lines at least once a year no matter what. the rods i use a lot get their line changed so often i dont need to keep up with them, first big break off/ nick in the line the whole thing is traded out. thats why i have gone to buying bulk line....JMO

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use Berkley Big Game Solar,30# test, on most of my reels, and change it each year. I have also use JD method of placing a label on the reel seat. This works for me.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Braid:
    80-100lb on larger (Abu 9000, etc) reels.
    65lb on smaller (Abu 6500, etc) reels
    30lb on very small (Abu 3600, etc) reels

Mono
    40lb - Gold Color
    30lb - Red Color
    20lb - Blueish Color

Fluorocarbon
    50lb - Clear
    40lb - Clear
    30lb - Clear

I use mono and fluorocarbon for leaders and sinker drop lines, and I'm still looking for a better system for the fluorocarbon. I'm seriously considering for next year using color coded swivels for my fluorocarbon leaders.

12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    can you not get colored flourocarbon?? i have never looked thats why i ask...

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Not than I can tell. One of the selling points of fluorocarbon is it's invisibility in water, so I doubt there is much demand for a higher vis version.

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ive narrowed down the different lines I use to Cajun and BG, all in 30#. I also use 65# P-Pro, nothing else. I change my line when the 30# gets low on my reel from break offs.

Life is just easier not using so many different lines.

15. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I've had thr same question on my find. I haven't been able to find any.

16. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Gary steal some of your wife's nail polish and paint your swivels to color code them. I use 30lb braid on most of my reels my big reels have 50 or 65lb PP and my bait poles have 15 and 20lb so it is easy for me to remember. Some reels have not been changed in 3 years and the line is the same as the day I put it on. I change it when the amount of line gets low on that reel. I buy a 1200yd spool of line so I can save money on refills.

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    IF I want to try and remember on a particular reel, I just write on it with a Sharpie,, Eventually most of it gets rubbed off, but,, somehow it helps me remember what I have on a particular reel.
    But, mostly, I use 50# Mono on the bigger reels, and 30# mono on the smaller reels I use for catfishing.
    Bait rigs and such I don't worry about it too much...

18. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    THANKS GUYS.

I'll be trying several of these methods and see which I like best.