How do you keep dead baits suspended?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gibbzilla, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Kind of a noob question, but how do you keep things like cut bait and nightcrawlers and stink bait suspended off the bottom? I fish a small, man-made, calm lake, full of eatin sized channels. Just lookin for some rigs that aint too complicated. :lol:

2. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    try the slip bobber u can adjust it deep enough to float thing just a few feet off the bottom another way would be to inject ur crawlers with air and make them float off the bottom ive caught more trout this way thatn catfish

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    yep.That'll work!

4. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio

that should do it.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a slip float with circle hooks to suspend baits such as liver and cuts.

6. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Lookin at the guide to the slip bobber rig in the Library has my brain boggled, I got pretty much no idea what its talkin about. Also, how would I be able to tell the depth of the water I'm fishin?

7. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    There're a few ways to determine your depth from the bank; First, easiest, and a little pricey is something along the lines of Hummingbird's "Smart Cast" radio depth finder.

The way I used to do it was to try to keep my eyes on the bobberstop. Begin by setting it way deeper than you think it'll fish. If it works right the stop shouldn't make it to the slip float. Simply reel it in and readjust, if the stop is 8' from the float, and you want to fish 2' off the bottom, move it toward the hook 10'. On the other hand; if the stop goes all the way to the float, then reel it in and move the stop away from the hook and recast. Keep doing that until the stop finally doesn't make it all the way to the float.

I have met folks who were experienced enough to time the descent of their rig. They would time from the splash of their cast until the line stopped pulling off of the reel. I never got very good at that. Although, if I'm fishing near a drop off or channel; the amount of line that comes off lets me know if I'm where I want to be ie. if I cast too far and ended up in the channel instead of beside it.

Another way that you might consider is added a small peg float to a slipsinker rig. If you're not looking to stay at a certain depth but staying at a determined distance off of the bottom, this works well.

Hope this helps

Jon

8. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have to agree slip float with circles good advice hope this helps

9. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois

well basically i use a slip bobber through the line a couple of slip weights or split shots (depending on the bobber) the i tie a barrel swivel with a short light line to it attach ur favorite hook and ur good next tie a bobber stop to the line and set through the depth u like they can be store bought or pices of rubberbans thick braid line anything use ur imagination set it at a good depth and ur good this works for all type of fich on the bottom

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    put you a crappie cork on your leader about 4-5" from the hook. i do it all the time anchored or drifting. the fish in my avatar was caught using this method. i use a 2-3" foam cork on my leader and just cast where ever i want to and i remain the same distance off the bottom where every i cast. works good on a muddy bottom where your bait would be settle down into the mud too. just remember you need to step up the weight size some to keep it down.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    im using big slip corks now, but before i had just as much luck hangin it off the side of the boat, droppin to bottom, counting revolutions to top, and then dropping to bottom and reeling in to desired depth. I actually had better luck doin that than slip corkin. Maybe i will start doin that again.

12. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Bluecatnut showed me a little trick using teflon tape as a bobber stop. Tie it around your line a coule times, a couple half-hitches and walla, instant bobbeer stop.

13. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    try using a drop rig. tie on a barrel swivel or 3 way swivel to your mainline. make a leader however far you want your bait off of the bottom and tie your wieght to it . tie on another 6 inch leader and use that for your hook. this way you can tight line it and you dont have to worry about your bait sitting on the bottom. works pretty god for me.

14. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I agree with the slip-float rig.

15. Willbe catchin

Willbe catchin New Member

State:
    Westminster,S.C

are you using a 3 way swivel or just weighted down above barel swivel ?
    Thanks, Will

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The Slip Float Rig is the best rig to keep dead baits suspended.